PHP 7.3 is alread in RC stage, so it seems to be reasonable to check CMSimple_XH and plugins/addons/templates for potential incompatibilities. The notable changes are listed in the UPGRADING document. Most relevant for us may be:
- flexible heredoc/nowdoc syntax
- Undefined variables passed to compact()
- declaration of case-insensitive constants has been deprecated (presumably nobody uses case-insensitive constants, but it closes a loophole in our XH_ADM/$adm security mitigation)
- preg_quote() now also escapes the '#' character
- PCRE extension has been upgraded to PCRE2
The biggest issue I currently see, is that uopz is still not compatible with PHP 7.3, so that the CMSimple_XH unit tests can't be run against PHP 7.3. Also this makes it hard for me to release a Portable_XH version with PHP 7.3.