opensourcecms.com "Lite Demos"

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
svasti

opensourcecms.com "Lite Demos"

Post by svasti » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi all CMSimple_XH friends:

Just looked at opensourcecms.com. Interesting, they have a section called "Open Source Lite Demos" :
opensourcecms.com wrote:Lite is the description OpenSourceCMS.com uses to refer to a Portal/CMS that does not require a database to function. These systems are very easy to install, but generally lack the sophistication of a database driven content management system.
They present 25 different CMSs... starting with CMSimple_LE (which is dead by now), but without mentioning CMSimple nor CMSimple_XH.

I'd say, the job of a public relations manager for CMSImple_XH is vacant. Anybody out there willing to exercise his/her creativity in making CMSimple_XH a little bit better known? No need to know php for this job!

svasti

edit: I've discovered CMSimple in the normal CMS section, where they present about 200 different CMS. Nevertheless it's in the wrong section and CMSimple_XH isn't mentioned.

cmb

Re: opensourcecms.com "Lite Demos"

Post by cmb » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:10 pm

IMO it's mandatory to list CMSimple_XH on opensourcecms.com. But I'm not sure about an online demo. Consider several users concurrently working in a single CMSimple installation -- that's quite likely to crash. Using the LoginLocker would savely avoid that, but actually it would prevent multiple users synchronously using the demo.
svasti wrote:I'd say, the job of a public relations manager for CMSImple_XH is vacant.
+ 1
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Post by svasti » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:27 pm

The CMSimple demo is a normal installation where the user cannot change anything, but can enter the backend and look around.
CMSimple demo wrote:Welcome
This is the demo of CMSimple.
You may login using password test.
You will get warnings about files not being writable - because the files are not set writable in this demo ;-)
(Some default error messages has been been turned off in this demo).
We could do the same. A demo is mandatory to get listed in opensourcecms.com.
We could put such a crippled demo on cmsimple-xh.com.

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:30 pm

svasti wrote:We could do the same. A demo is mandatory to get listed in opensourcecms.com.
We could put such a crippled demo on cmsimple-xh.com.
Hmm, well, on further rethinking it's important to write protect the demo for security reasons anyway (e.g. by editing the template online a malicious user could execute arbitrary PHP in the context of the hosting domain!!!). And even if a readonly demo is only half a demonstration, we probably should set up one.

Gert

Post by Gert » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:47 am

cmb wrote:... we probably should set up one.
But please not on cmsimple-xh.com, please use one of your own servers for such things,

Gert
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

maeg

Post by maeg » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:04 am

Hi

I think is a good ide to make a demo of cmsimple-xh, and you are free to use one of my servere for, and you can use my domain "cmsimple-xh.dk".

So Cmb or svasti if you want i can create a sub-domain for it and give you ftp access.

Just let me know!

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:45 am

Hi,
Gert wrote:But please not on cmsimple-xh.com
Don't you think it's a good idea to make a public demo of CMSimple_XH available, or are you concerned about potential security issues?
maeg wrote:So Cmb or svasti if you want i can create a sub-domain for it and give you ftp access.
Thanks for your generous offer. :) IMO it's fine to have a demo on cmsimple-xh.dk. I guess having a demo on svasti's or my domain might confuse users, because the domain name is not related to CMSimple_XH.

But we should wait for XH 1.5.4, and then make some slight adjustments for the demo version (e.g. the mailform should be visible, but no mails should be send). In the meantime we could prepare some appropriate content, which may be translated for a multi-language demo.

Christoph

Gert

Post by Gert » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:07 pm

cmb wrote:... or are you concerned about potential security issues?
Yes, I have the most of my domains on this server,

Gert
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi Gert,

I understand your concerns, so we better set up the demo somewhere else. But wherever we set up the demo, we have to make sure that there are no security issues regarding other installations or even domains on the same server:
  • all files and folders of the demo installation have to be write protected (i.e. 444 resp. 555)
  • open_basedir must be set to the root of the demo installation
Do we have to take additional measures?

Christoph