Disabling/enabling plugins

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Disabling/enabling plugins

Post by Holger » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:12 am

Gert wrote:Same procedure as with filebrowser and pagemanager
Hmm. Not really. Because there is already a plugin named "pluginloader" in the plugins-folder - but today only with language-files.
The pluginmanager-plugin is like a "delete-folder-plugin" for the filebrowser ;) .
Gert wrote:and: "I did it my way" ;)
Ok, that's true ;) .
Gert wrote: The most work was the "polished backend" (the admin.php) of Pluginmanager_XH.
I meant the most work at runtime - not your work. Anyway - where is the problem to move that code to /pluginloader/admin.php???
Holger wrote:That might be much easier
You should read a bit more careful my suggestions. "Easier" was not assigned to your radio-buttons. It was assigned to use $cf and config.php for your configuration instead of reinventing the wheel with a txt-file and own read / write functions.
Using the existing functions of the PL to handle reading and writing data is IMO easier than writing similar new own functions. Isn't it?

Holger

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 am

Hi Gert, hi Holger, hi B,
Gert wrote:
bca wrote: Also I get any files that are in the root folder showing in the plugin list eg OLDindex.php where I renamed the original index.php
Oh, a stupid mistake in admin.php
There's still a minor issue: a file "plugins/readme" for example, will be reported as plugin.

And I thought about disabling standard plugins: it might be a nice feature, to be able to do so, at least for the ones that could be replaced: Pagemanager, Filebrowser, tinyMCE. So a user can try out an alternative (well, it's not really a problem to keep the others enabled, but anyway it's something to consider).
Holger wrote:why not putting a admin.php to /plugins/pluginloader/
and a config.php to /plugins/pluginloader/config?

So the array with the disabled plugins can be stored in a $cf['pluginloader']['....'] - variable and you can use the default
functions of the PL to manage them - maybe with a polished backend like tinymce or ckeditor.
Indeed, a good idea! But if pluginloader/ would be handled as normal plugin, it would be necessary to load it at first though.
Gert wrote:What can be easier than 2 radio buttons for every plugin
There already where some ideas about introducing some kind of typing to the core and pluginloader configuration (checkboxes, radiobutton, select etc.) This might be nice and unified way to handle things. OTOH: Pluginmanager_XH could be used as additional plugin to allow for a more userfriendly way to handle things.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:48 am

cmb wrote:But if pluginloader/ would be handled as normal plugin, it would be necessary to load it at first though.
Why?
Anyway, that small change in /plugins/index.php should not harm.

I think the pluginloader should have an own admin.php, not only to disable plugins...

Holger

Gert

Post by Gert » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 pm

bca wrote:Also I get any files that are in the root folder showing in the plugin list eg OLDindex.php where I renamed the original index.php
cmb wrote:There's still a minor issue: a file "plugins/readme" for example, will be reported as plugin.
In my (corrected) installation not.
cmb wrote:And I thought about disabling standard plugins: it might be a nice feature, to be able to do so, at least for the ones that could be replaced: Pagemanager, Filebrowser, tinyMCE. So a user can try out an alternative
Alternative editors, pagemanagers and filemanagers are working furthermore, even if the user can't disable the standard plugins. Like it has been before.

I think, it should not be possible to disable one of the standard plugins.

However, I have uploaded a modified download some minutes ago, there are the standard plugins visible, but you can't disable them. They are marked as Standard Plugins. But you can access the backends of the plugins by Pluginmanager.

!!! FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY - use with caution !!! (for CMSimple_XH 1.5.3 only)

Download beta04 (new): http://www.ge-webdesign.de/cmsimple/dlc ... php?id=376

I think, all is very comfortable, clear and understandable now,

Gert
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

Gert

Post by Gert » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Holger wrote:Using the existing functions of the PL to handle reading and writing data is IMO easier than writing similar new own functions. Isn't it?
I have used code from my other plugins, storing data in data files from a nice backend (TemPlug_XH, FotoGalerie_XH) - was very easy to adapt it. As I wrote: I did it my way ;)

Gert

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Gert wrote: As I wrote: I did it my way ;)
It's no problem doing it your way - as long it is just a third-party-plugin with hacked core-parts.
But when there are plans for putting that to the main distribution, I'll suggest doing it the usual CMSimple-way.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi Holger, hi Gert,
Holger wrote:
cmb wrote: But if pluginloader/ would be handled as normal plugin, it would be necessary to load it at first though.
Why?
If another plugin is loaded before the pluginloader, the pluginloader couldn't disable the plugins, if it would be the responsibility of pluginloader/admin.php, what seems quite natural to me. OTOH: the code to disable the plugins might remain in plugins/index.php.
Gert wrote:
cmb wrote: There's still a minor issue: a file "plugins/readme" for example, will be reported as plugin.
In my (corrected) installation not.
Yes, indeed. Don't know what happened when I tested this with the earlier beta04.
Gert wrote:I think, all is very comfortable, clear and understandable now,
Yes, it is! But I'm not too happy with the allocation of the code. Currently the filename of disabled_functions as well as the file file format are hardcoded in the pluginloader, but it's still possible to uninstall Pluginmanager_XH. So somebody might consider to write an alternative Pluginmanager, but to keep it fully integrated, he has to name it "pluginmanager". This might result in some confusion. So I think it's better to either integrate Pluginmanager_XH even more tightly (as Holger suggested), or to couply it more loosely, as done with Pagemanager_XH for example. I would prefer the latter ("Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations" ;)), but probably that's hard to accomplish, so the former solution might be best.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Gert

Post by Gert » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Hehe, the one wants a fully integrated solution (Pluginloader), the other one wants "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations" :lol:

I don't think, that CMSimple_XH needs several options, just to enable/disable plugins.

With the Pluginmanager_XH it is the same as with Subsites: CMSimple_XH works as before with the modifications of cms.php and index.php of the pluginloader, even if Pluginmanager_XH is not installed, where is the problem?

Gert

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi Gert,
Gert wrote:I don't think, that CMSimple_XH needs several options, just to enable/disable plugins.
No, of course not. And it might not need the choice between several editors, filebrowsers and possibly pagemanagers too. But it seems some users are quite happy with having the choice.

And a pluginmanager could facilitate more than just disabling plugins: displaying their version number, perhaps even create a preformatted list of info about the installed plugins to post it here in the forum, if the need arises; displaying a short description (perhaps an icon) as done in CMSimple SE; checking if an update is available (and give perhaps links to available translations). And I'm quite sure, that others might find further interesting possibilities. But of course, all this could be added to the Pluginmanager, or done by another plugin.
Gert wrote:With the Pluginmanager_XH it is the same as with Subsites: CMSimple_XH works as before with the modifications of cms.php and index.php of the pluginloader, even if Pluginmanager_XH is not installed, where is the problem?
But Subsites is no plugin! And IMO it's not reasonable to make changes to the core, just to use a particular plugin. It might result in an accumulation of special handling for several plugins: Advancedsearch and Coco could make good use of a hook for the search function to include their own search.php, so the user can disable these plugins without the need to copy the original search.php back to cmsimple/. Pdeditor_XH could increase it's usability by far, if it were called after all other plugins, so it could display the pagedata tabs instead of simple inputs.

Consider the current situation: AFAIK no other standard plugin required changes to the core only for this particular plugin, let alone that a language string of the plugin is used in the pluginloader or that the plugin is linked from the core. That would be an innovation.

Christoph

Gert

Post by Gert » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:42 pm

cmb wrote:And IMO it's not reasonable to make changes to the core, just to use a particular plugin.
There is no problem to set $cf['pluginmanager']['external'] and use it in the core files instead "pluginmanager" ...
cmb wrote:let alone that a language string of the plugin is used in the pluginloader ...

The language string can be moved to the pluginloader ...
cmb wrote:... or that the plugin is linked from the core. That would be an innovation.
Filebrowser is linked from the core, pagemanager is linked from the core ... I don't understand ...