Removing "Submenu" from pages

About the template and stylesheet - and changing the menu
Catfish

Removing "Submenu" from pages

Post by Catfish » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:22 am

Hi everyone,

First I want to say that CMSimple i the only CMS software I have been able to figure out. It does what I expected a CMS to do to start with - make configuring and editing a website easy! All the other CMSs are too complex for me.

The first thing I would like to know about CMSimple, is if I am able to turn off the "Submenu" list that appears on the content section of pages that have sections below them.

Like:

<h1>Top Level Category</h1>

This is the content for Top Level Category.

and then CMSimple automatically outputs:
Submenu
<a href="http://www.web.com/?Top_Level_Directory ... gory1">Sub Category1</a>
etc. etc.

at the bottom of the Top Level Category page.

is there a way to turn this submenu listing off? I just want my content and the user can use the toc() menu on the left or the navigator() at the bottom to navigate the pages.

Also I noticed today that the default editor does not offer changing of text colours. Which editor would most reccommend to add this functionality?
And finally, are you allowed to edit the CMSimple code to make more flexibility for your website? I wouldn't want to remove the linkware notices, just change some of the code (like remove the submenu list thing) to make it do what I want when I can't find any other way of doing what I want.

mikey
Site Admin

Re: Removing "Submenu" from pages

Post by mikey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 am

hi Catfish, nice forum name ;)

to remove submenu from content pages, open template.htm in notepad

look for this block:

Code: Select all

<tr><td valign="top">
<?php echo editmenu();?>
<?php echo content();?>
<?php echo submenu();?>
</td></tr>
or similar, delete this:

Code: Select all

<?php echo submenu();?>
save & upload and overwrite existing file.

if you are not comfortable editing like this, send me URL + password, ill do it online

regarding requests to disable and alter main cmsimple code....

as the templates are hard encoded htm files, adding some type of edit function within cmsimple admin function could be a big ask, but im no coder, maybe some of the more enlightened script people may offer an alternative :)

cheers
mikey

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:06 am

Hi mikey,

thanks for hte quick reply. I just found the <?php echo submenu();?> code as I was editing my background images. that's cool now i wont have that anymore.

the main thing i'm wondering when it comes to editing the cmsimple code is for adding my own functions like cmsimple has: toc() submenu() etc. if i want to add functions to, say output a product listing that is pulled form a database, adding my own functions that can be used in cmsimple's template file or in the content sections would be really neat. but i would need to edit cmsimple's code to make it include my custom functions wouldn't i?

PS: My website is: http://dev.beardeddonkey.com/
I am building it to advertise my business, but my business is not ready yet! Oh well, at least I know it will all be going when I do start working for myself... not like other people that always say "I'm going to... " and it never happens.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:16 am

yeh, some code edits will probably be needed, so ill leave this for replies by those that know, rather than me throw meaningless non working ideas at you ;)

cheers
mikey

mvwd

Post by mvwd » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:02 pm

....three possible ways to include your own functions:
  1. place your own function in the function.php (located in folder ./cmsimple/)
  2. include your own file by editing config: $cf['functions']['file']="my_own_functions.php"; (keep in mind, that the functions geturl(), geturlwp(), autogallery() and newsbox() will be no longer available)
  3. write your own plugin
mvwd.