TinyMCE and Android tablet

Questions about how to use the online - editors and suggestions how to improve them
lianergoist

TinyMCE and Android tablet

Post by lianergoist » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Hello,

I have a little problem with TinyMCE version 3 (revision 5.10) (CMSimple_XH 1.6.2) on my Samsung Android tablet. The problem is: when I select some text in TinyMCE on my PC, then the "add link" icon in the editor become active -- but if I try to do the same in the browser on my tablet, then only the android system "see" some text is now selected. The android system popup a menu where I can copy, cut, etc., but the editor doesn't activate "add link".

Am I the first person to experience this problem? Is there a workaround?

Thomas
--
Thomas Jensen, Denmark

cmb

Re: TinyMCE and Android tablet

Post by cmb » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Hello Thomas,

a similar problem was reported by mrleejohn regarding his iPad long ago. After some discussion I filed a respective bug report against the TinyMCE code base--however, it has not been answered yet.

Back then I didn't have a mobile device, but now I have an Android tablet. I have to confirm the problem (Dolphin browser). However, that is only one of the many problems I've found during a quick test. I will make more tests, with other browsers, too.

Anyway, I presume that there will be no more bugfixes for TinyMCE 3.x. You may consider to test the new TinyMCE 4.x, and if you find it more suitable, you can install it as plugin, thanks to manu.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

lianergoist

Post by lianergoist » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:18 am

Hello Christoph

Thank you for your answer. I will see if it works using a newer version as plugin. I will come back and tell you the result.
--
Thomas Jensen, Denmark

lianergoist

Post by lianergoist » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:02 am

lianergoist wrote: I will come back and tell you the result.
Okay, TinyMCE4 is better. There is still a problem when selecting text, but at least you can insert a link without selecting some text first. This is not possible in TinyMCE3.

BTW, there is a related problem in the editor - both 3 and 4. If I tap a link in the editor, it will immediately open the destination of the link in the editor, instead of giving it focus, so I can edit it... I guess only solution is to go to html-view and edit the html-code directly.
--
Thomas Jensen, Denmark

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:27 am

lianergoist wrote:BTW, there is a related problem in the editor - both 3 and 4. If I tap a link in the editor, it will immediately open the destination of the link in the editor, instead of giving it focus, so I can edit it... I guess only solution is to go to html-view and edit the html-code directly.
Indeed, that was one of the problems I've mentioned above. That is really ugly, and I'm not even sure, if the warning regarding loss of unchanged saves pops up in this case; otherwise one may accidentially loose other changes.

And yes, it seems the only workaround is to edit the HTML directly.

I still didn't have the time to do further tests, but I'll try to catch up, and I'll file a respective bug report, if that hasn't already happened.

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:55 am

cmb wrote:I still didn't have the time to do further tests, but I'll try to catch up, and I'll file a respective bug report, if that hasn't already happened.
Finally I found some time for further testing. Using TinyMCE 4 with Dophin doesn't really work; however, latest Chrome and Firefox work fine, at least wrt. links. Chrome has problems with several link related functions in TinyMCE 3, but Firefox works fine. I assume that it is futile to file a bug report against certain browsers (especially dolphin and the native android browser may have very low priority), when the functionality is already working in browsers that are in widespread use; filing bug reports for TinyMCE 3 doesn't seem to be helpful anyway -- let them concentrate on TinyMCE 4.