OEDIT :(

Questions about how to use the online - editors and suggestions how to improve them
beate_r

OEDIT :(

Post by beate_r » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:07 am

Hi,

i just tried to edit something using safari on OSX and was frustrated about the code generated by oedit. I intended to enter a simple H4 tag and had to notify that in connection with safari, oedit added aditional <span> tags which enforced H4 tags to look like normal text.

Code: Select all

<h4><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#000000" size="3"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal;"><br></span></font></h4><h4><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; "><hr></span><br></h4> 
A while ago i recognized that firefox on windows added a lot of javascript stuff to support skype when i entered phone numbers. Actually i would prefer a less "intelligent" editor leaving me control on the code i enter.

How do the other editors behave in this respect?

THX

Beate

PS: one more reason to edit content.htm directly using emacs after mounting the webspace using sshfs (or lsfs).

Connie

Re: OEDIT :(

Post by Connie » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:47 am

Beate,

did you enter the H4-tag directly in the text-area or did you use the H4-button?

I tested with Firefox under windows and got this result, when entering directly in OEDIT textarea:

<p><h4>dies ist direkt eingegeben</h4><br> </p> 
When I marked the code and clicked on the H4-Button I got this result, which is correct:

<h4>dies ist Überschrift<br> </h4>
|---
Connie Müller-Gödecke, http://www.webdeerns.de

Till

Post by Till » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:03 am

To my knowledge it is not OEDIT which does theses things. It's the user plugins in Firefox and certain instruction sets in Safari which are responsible for this sick code.

See: http://www.cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1652#p1652

Till

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:51 am

beate_r wrote:i just tried to edit something using safari on OSX and was frustrated about the code generated by oedit.
beate_r wrote:How do the other editors behave in this respect?
Why don't you use a real RTF-Editor?
In the meantime, there are so much working solutions for CMSimple out there.
For me, of course ;) , I'll suggest FCKeditor. I've never seen a better code quality.
Just strip off the features you don't need by creating your own toolbar.

Holger

beate_r

Post by beate_r » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:47 pm

Hi Holger,

usually do my most of edits on either a local copy of content.htm or in a remote shell of my server using emacs. Therefore i use the internal editor only occasially, e.g. if i do not have a local ssh client at hand. And again, usually I use firefox without dangerous plugins and not safari or its linux companion midori. So setting up cmsimple with a mostly unused replacement of oedit did not appear worth the effort to me.

Beate