Big problem with editor in CMSimple XH 1.5

Questions about how to use the online - editors and suggestions how to improve them
mrleejohn

Re: Big problem with editor in CMSimple XH 1.5

Post by mrleejohn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:37 am

Well..... it seems I draw to a conclusion too soon... it's not just my template. Other templates have this problem too.

Yesterday it only seemed that my template in a clean install did have this problem. Now I don't know what my problem is.

After some investigation with a clean install I don't know what the problem was. I copied my template and content.htm back to the clean install and everything works fine. I don't know where the problem was.... some strange problem in my old CMSimple installation, which has been patched for some years now.

I'm gonna go for the new installation now. With my old template and content. Thanks for the support!!!

mrleejohn

Post by mrleejohn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:00 am

I'm back.... I absolutely do not understand this thing anymore.... after 10 minutes my problem was back.... One minute the problem is gone, the other the problem is there. :evil:

How longer I play with this stuff, the more I do not understand. It looks like something with some characters don't add up...

mrleejohn

Post by mrleejohn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:22 am

This is hilarious.... as long as I do not type a space, things go ok. When I ad a space charachter, TinyMCE deletes the whole page. Like it does not approve of the page and deletes it. Something must have triggered it.... I started over clean. It's a mystery.

mrleejohn

Post by mrleejohn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:30 am

I think I found it....

The moment I declared to use not utf-8 but iso-8859-1, things went wrong. When I put a space in the text, TinyMCE did not approve of the page and deleted it. Unfortunately, my template does not work well with utf-8. I think I have to switch to another template.

But.... be aware. In CMSimple XH 1.5 with TinyMCE and iso-8859-1 instead of utf-8, things go horribly wrong.
TinyMCE does not approve the content anymore and deletes pages.

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi mrleejohn,

thanks for investigating the problem. Indeed, pages with non-ASCII characters in the heading will be deleted after saving from tinyMCE, if meta_codepage is set to ISO-8859-1 (or probably anything other than UTF-8). But that's not caused by tinyMCE, but by a routine that eliminates all empty "page-level" headings from the page, to avoid having pages with empty headings. But it recognizes the whole page as empty heading, if non-ASCII characters are contained in the heading! It's no problem, if the editor replaces non-ASCII characters with HTML entities. This can be changed for tinyMCE by editing plugins/tinymce/inits/init_*.js and changing entity_encoding to "named" or "numeric".

But I suggest switching to UTF-8 encoding anyway. The template shouldn't be a show stopper -- I'll have a look at your's later.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

mrleejohn

Post by mrleejohn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi Christoph,

I changed my template and switched to utf-8.... see the results at http://www.mrleejohn.nl . Thanks for thinking with me on the problem. No need to look at the earlier template now.

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi mrleejohn,
mrleejohn wrote:I ... switched to utf-8
That's IMO the best solution in the long run.
mrleejohn wrote:No need to look at the earlier template now.
That'll save me some time. :)

But the issue has to be solved, at least by documenting it. As I've just found, pages will be deleted not only when a non-ASCII character is in the heading, but anywhere on the page.

Christoph

mrleejohn

Post by mrleejohn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Maybe a firm warning for users who want to update to XH1.5 is in order. A lot of them use another editor, I think. In Cmsimple XH1.5, as it is now, one has to use TinyMCE. Switching to utf-8 seems a must to me instead of an option.

That's a good warning, I think. I allmost abandoned Cmsimple... I'm glad I did not and that I took the time to sort out the problem. Maybe I could have known about this, but I use Cmsimple for several years now and adapted some templates. A warning seems in place.

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi mrleejohn,
mrleejohn wrote:I'm glad I did not and that I took the time to sort out the problem.
I'm glad too. I guess nobody of the developers was aware of this problem before, and many users might be irritated by the current behaviour.
mrleejohn wrote:In Cmsimple XH1.5, as it is now, one has to use TinyMCE.
Probably other editors will behave the same with the current implementation of saving from the editor in the core. So it has to be solved somehow in CMSimple_XH's core. IMO a forced switch to UTF-8 with a warning otherwise might be the best option, to cater for new templates and plugins. Even if that might change some URLs. :(

Christoph

mrleejohn

Post by mrleejohn » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:00 am

Yes, a forced switch to utf-8 sounds good too. With a specific option to override.

Anyway... I'm happy again with mrleejohn.nl and XH1.5 8-)