Save button deletes content...

Questions about how to use the online - editors and suggestions how to improve them
Nicky

Save button deletes content...

Post by Nicky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:17 pm

Since a few weeks some of my clients are reporting very disturbing news.

I always install tinymce in order to make available extra functions, fonts, colors, image positioning. Always worked perfectly, but now it seems that some pc's, two Vista, one XP, go delete text & page when 'Save' button is hit!

Is there anyone out here with this same experience, maybe someone has a clue here?

I have no idea if this is a cmsimple or tinymce issue at this moment, but I'm trying to find out with several demo setups.
Thanks

Torsten.Behrens

Re: Save button deletes content...

Post by Torsten.Behrens » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:13 am

I use the tinymce not, but I wonder here:
Tinymce error or user error?

a) Is the text typed by hand and then saved?
b) Or is copied the text from the clipboard?

If b), then incorrect formatting could lead to misbehavior of tinymce.

Torsten
Torsten Behrens
CMSimple Templates

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:45 am

2 of the 3 problems already solved. This all concerns clients, not any problems 'here'.

First user had Add-On 'Currency Converter' installed in firefox, leading to a messy html code that included <span>currency_converter_text</> or someting, so it rendered error and output of code was corrupted.

Second one is using IE provided by Yahoo, and the problem of disappearing text/page only happens on his pc (with that yahoo browser). He just informed me that everything works fine on another pc. Will test further and advise him to get a 'standard' browser.

Number 3 reports that his pages and text only disappear in IE, but there is no problem with Firefox.

Seems an unconvenient coincidence that all these complaints come in one week, but I think every one of them will get a plausible explanation, eventually.

mvwd

Post by mvwd » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks for your feedback!

A lot of editor-Problems are caused by IE.
For a quick test without the need to install a new browser, i use the portable versions of FF or Chrome (you'll find german Versions here: http://stadt-bremerhaven.de/ => Downloadbereich). You can even run them on a USB-Stick ;)

mvwd.

jerry

Post by jerry » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 pm

I can too report loss of data when saving a page in IE 8, tinymce CMSimple XH 1.1. I have no any idea what's going on so this is just a warning that theres is a error some place. I swithed to FCKeditor and monitor savings to see if it happens again.
jerry
jerry/simplesolutions

leenm

Post by leenm » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Just to let you know, I don't have this problem with TinyMCE and CMSimple_XH 1.1 (In IE 8). Which TinyMCE version and tinymce.php do you use?

Leen

jerry

Post by jerry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Tinymce 3_2_7 with gzip. By the way it was IE7. I was busy with something else so I just restored mising pages from backup. Some other pages changed status to unpublished så I had to change it back. I found #CMSimple hide# tree places in content.htm. I thought that I did remove them all after installation of CMSimple_XH, but I'm not sure. There is no basis to say that it is CMSimple error so I just reported it to forum. Let se if there wil be more reports.
jerry
jerry/simplesolutions

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:09 am

If anyone can render the 'disappearing text when save' problem, I found this somewhere on the web. Maybe someone who experienced the problem can try?

It seems that not Win Vista, but IE8 might be the cause (one of my 'problem clients' just reported he uses IE8).

If this is put inside (I think in the template.htm), does that help?

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

Anyway, I advised my clients to use Mozilla Firefox instead, also works fine.

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Now confirmed by 2 clients, problem occurs in IE8, both with OS XP and Vista.

If any IE8 users out here using tinymce + cmsimple (don't think versions matter) please try if above problem occurs and hopefully this can solve it:

place, just before </head> in template.htm
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

testers, thanks in advance.

jerry

Post by jerry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:37 pm

I use
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8; text/html;charset=iso-8859-1" />
on 2 of my sites without any loss of pages in tinymce. I use it to get rid of IE8 no compatiblity icon. Both sites are running CMSimple XH 1.0. I had data loss on a site where I don't use above meta statemenet.
jerry
jerry/simplesolutions