File Permission Issues

Questions about how to install and problems installing - please read the documentation first!
steveissuperman

File Permission Issues

Post by steveissuperman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:45 am

For some reason, I keep getting messages such as: "Not writeable Website configuration ./cmsimple/languages/enconfig.php", even though I've gone through and changed all the file permissions to 777 on everything just to be sure. What else could be the issue here? Is there a way to test around this issue and figure out what's going on? Where would you start?

This is on a university website. My ftp access gets me into a seperate www directory somewhere on the server, but when you access the site, you have to go to www.university.edu/site_name like it's a sub-directory. Do you think there are top level issues at play here? I would think that since I was able to change all the file permissions around the cmsimple installation, it would be able to work since it should have to go through the top level... or something like that. It's been a while since I've worked with permissions like this, so I don't really know what I'm doing here. :?

cmb

Re: File Permission Issues

Post by cmb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:24 am

Hi,

have you checked, that the permissions are as you've set them, after you've set them? If so, there still could be problems with other write restrictions on the server (e.g. PHP's safe_mode [1]). Another theoretical possibility is, that CMSimple is looking for the file in the wrong place (but then you would neither see any reasonable website contents). Nevertheless make sure that there is no folder with exactly 2 letters in the real path of the CMSimple installation. You have written, that the site is accessed like being in a subdirectory; as it's a university site, I assume there might be per-user directories starting with a "~", e.g. http://example.com/~user. This is basically no problem, but it's good to know, whether this is so.
steveissuperman wrote:Do you think there are top level issues at play here?
Probably not, but you'll never know. There could be problems with realpath(), even if the checks you've mentioned don't rely on it.

What's important for further analysis: which version of CMSimple do you use? Additionally the actual link to your website might be helpful.

[1] In CMSimple_XH 1.5.x you can see the PHP settings under CMS->Info->PHP Info.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH