New to CMSimple_XH

General questions about CMSimple
Rommel

New to CMSimple_XH

Post by Rommel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:54 am

Hi all,

I just discovered CMSimple_XH and found out through some reviews that it is easy to theme. Can you point me to a link where I can find an English tutorial for template making? Also is there a standard HTML document type that must be used in order for the CMS to function? Can tables be used instead of divs and what are the pros and cons if I used table based web design?

Is it also possible to embed CMSimple functionality for example the REALBLOG functionality only to an an existing static html site.

CMSimple looks promising. I am looking forward for its continuous growth even I have to learn HTML and CSS ( I am non coder but am trying to learn on my own). Keep on growing CMSimple!!!

Tata

Re: New to CMSimple_XH

Post by Tata » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:48 am

WELCOME TO SMCimple_XH!
Nice to see you here.
Rommel wrote:I just discovered CMSimple_XH and found out through some reviews that it is easy to theme.
"Theming" does basically not differe from any other designing pf a website. If you are familiar with HTML and CSS, almost nothing else is needed. There are only a couple of "core-system" calls you have to insert to make the wbesite working.
Rommel wrote:Can you point me to a link where I can find an English tutorial for template making? Also is there a standard HTML document type that must be used in order for the CMS to function?
There are some tutorials available around already and you only need to check in this forum or google a little, also visit http://www.cmsimple-xh.org/ and other linked sources. But the best way to learn more about it is to download a couple of free available templates and see how they are made.
Rommel wrote:Can tables be used instead of divs and what are the pros and cons if I used table based web design?
Again, basically there is no problem, however tables are not the clearest way IMHO. They are not flexible enough and adjustable to new devices features. I would suggest to learn making DIVs-based templates and especially to lear making responsive templates. Its a trend of nowadays.
Rommel wrote:Is it also possible to embed CMSimple functionality for example the REALBLOG functionality only to an an existing static html site.
AFAIK its not. Realblog is a plugin developed for CMSimple and it needs the basic installation and the core functionality. It's no selfstanding script.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

Rommel

Post by Rommel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:46 am

Tata, thank you for your reply.

I am using an HTML generator and it outputs tables instead. But it has entry points for the code where I can insert the php tags which may work. I know it is a shortcut of me being unable to code but maybe one day if i'l have the opportunity to learn HTML & CSS if I'l able to have someone who can teach me one on one. I tried learning by myself and it's really difficult without the presence of a teacher who can guide me.

It seems that there are variants of CMSimple, how do I decide which one to choose? Also are the plugins updated? I saw the Quick Cart plugin, is it updated as well? Can I use any of the plugins regardless which of CMSimple variant I will use?

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 am

I agree with Tata, that DIV based layouts offer more flexibility, but TABLE based layouts are fine, too. So this shouldn't be a problem. There is an English Plugin Tutorial available, which is a translation of a German one--unfortunately it's not yet completely translated. Anyway, if you're using an HTML generator, a tutorial may not be necessary for you. There is a list of so-called PHP template tags which may be sufficient in combination with having a look at the template.htm of one of the default templates (some of the template tags require/accept parameters).

There are basically 3 variants of CMSimple which are actively being maintained; see http://cmsimplewiki.com/doku.php/cmsimp ... ternatives for a brief overview. For new sites I recommend using the latest version of either CMSimple_XH or CMSimple v4. Most of the newer plugins are written for these versions. I have not had a look at the Quick Cart solution, but you shouldn't use it in a production environment, as the version of Quick.Cart is pretty old. Either you use a recent version of Quick.Cart and see how it's integrated in the Quick.Cart solution, or you have a look at the Wellrad Shop which facilitates to have a small shop as CMSimple plugin.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Rommel

Post by Rommel » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:55 am

Chris in templating does it matter if the CSS is external or inline? What are likely to be the problems if I'm using inline CSS in conjuction with using tables?

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:12 am

I don't see a real problem with using inline CSS. There are, however, two drackbacks:
  • it's likely to increase the size of the HTML
    Consider the number of bytes class="..." vs. style="..." take. Multiply this by the number of times its used.
  • it may lead to inadvertent inconsistencies
    If you have to change the styling later, you'll have to take care to do it for all desired elements.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH