clean url does not work

General questions about CMSimple
sascha

Re: clean url does not work

Post by sascha » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:40 pm

till,

i just copied and pasted it and voilà there are clean urls and still the same header for alle levels from h1 to h3! only thing i have to do now is to find all umlauts in the headings, i will sacrifice them willingly for clean urls ;)

thank you very much for your help :D

sascha

Connie

Post by Connie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:08 pm

@Mickey,

well why clean URLs?

Beside any SEO-discussion and non-techie:

Because I like to talk with people and sometimes I have to tell them the URL vocally... how to do this with CMsimple standard URLs?
Because people don't like links like the standard CMSimple URLs, they are plain ugly
Because my clients are irritated by these links

there are many more reasons ;)

@Sascha,
did you try with a php_info whether mod_rewrite is activated?
You could also add the statement

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine on
to a .htaccess-file and check, did you do this already?

Cheers, Connie
|---
Connie Müller-Gödecke, http://www.webdeerns.de

sascha

Post by sascha » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:33 pm

@ connie,
mod_rewrite is activated. thanks for the hint with info.php. i also had the htaccess file. with the help from till now everything runs smoothly.

well there are some side effects of the url change:
"?" ":" "ß" and "!" in headings are not possible any longer
and the metadirect i had in some headings (they were automatically forwarded to another url) is not working any more.

but all in all i'm quite happy with the change :)

sascha

now new problem with picture h2+h3

Post by sascha » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:56 am

hi guys,
we spend yesterday so much time an effort to make the url clean. but what i regarded to be a minor change is now going to become a bigger operation :shock: today when i checked my website i found out that:

1. the links to the pictures on h2+h3 level do not work any more :( h1 level is still working as before. see this behavious i.e. at http://diasdigitalisieren.info/Download ... _V750.html

there the link to the picture after clean url is now
http://diasdigitalisieren.info/Download ... onV750.jpg, and as "Download/TIFFs/" has been added by the system not working any more. the correct link should be
http://diasdigitalisieren.info/images/Ara_EpsonV750.jpg instead. is there anything you can do except putting in manually an absolute link, like we did for the top image?

2. all pictures have been added with OEDIT and this editor shows a strange behaviour now. when in edit-mode you can still display and add pictures. but - making the job tough - the icons of the editor (i.e. for "save") are not visible any longer, when in edit mode. additionally when you switch to view-mode the pictures disappear, even recently added ones. not to forget that logout is not possible any more, you can log out, but as soon you go to a page that has just recently been opened when you were logged in, you are automatically logged in again :(

is anybody else using clean url and has any advise how to solve this problem? maybe some of this is caused, because i applied clean url after setting up the page. think when this is all over i am going to write an tutorial, to share it with everyone. the wiki-entry as it is, is definitely not covering all aspects of this operation ;)

sascha

Post by sascha » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:49 am

i forgot to mention, that the strange behaviour of OEdit only happens, when you are in edit mode for h2- or h3-entries. otherwise it works as usually. i tried to find some cmsimple-installations for comparison that are using clean url, but all of them are just using h1-entries and have no h2 or h3 entries. does anybody at least know, if there are some installations that go below h1-level?

Till

Post by Till » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:50 am

It seems, that the changes already made in cms.php are not enough. The variables defining the paths do not work properly. They have still to be changed. The wiki description of making clean URLs is a summary of post in the old forum (http://www.cmsimple.dk/forum/). And I used it only once and only for a site with just h1 level headings. It is possible, that - in case somebody of my clients wants it changed - I may have a deeper look into that and may do all the required changes. But it seems, that it is a major approach.

For the moment I would say, that you should use complete links for your images. And have you tested other editors? Even though I believe that you will have the same problems.

Till

sascha

conclusion: goodbye cmsimple, hello typo3

Post by sascha » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:24 am

@till,
as websites grow over a certain level, you often have to deal with limitations of CMSsimple, as we found out here with the clean url thing. it works, but with bigger websites it is more a remedy, than a solution for productive systems. but good to know at least ;) will keep this in mind and use clean url for smaller websites from now on.

for bigger websites like http://www.diasdigitalisieren.info it is not an appropriate solution, especially as i am just preparing an english version of it. it will have its own domain http://www.slidescan.info. so i think it's now time for a system change. made the decision against cmsimple after it was clear, that clean url will not work in the expected way. i need an cms that by default (or with tested extensions) is supporting features like clean url, or alt-tags for pictures or hidden pages just to name a few. by changing everything manually you will always have some unwanted side effects, like we experienced in this case. will try typo3 now.

@everybody: if anyone has a good idea to make clean url properly working from h1-h3 in cmsimple please tell! think there are many people that would like cmsimple with clean urls even more :)

Till

Re: conclusion: goodbye cmsimple, hello typo3

Post by Till » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:09 am

sascha wrote:.....will try typo3 now.......
Good luck! I had classes - 4 weeks, full time - to learn how it operates and how to generate web solutions using it. ;)

alt texts for images is no problem with CMSimple. You just have to use another editor - not CMSimple's internal one. There are 4 or 5 around which can be used with CMSimple. The most recent one is FCKeditor. Check the wiki.

Till

Connie

Post by Connie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:39 pm

well, after struggling with a very simple system like CMSimple you should not move to an over-kill-system like typo3 at all
that is not necessary

there are more than 1000 CMS out and they mostly range between Typo3 and CMSimple

I suggest CMSMadeSimple heartily

that is easy to use, works out of the box, supports really good clean URLs without breaking your fingers, has some good extensions

it is more transparent and easy to manage and authors (not admins) really can add their content easily without the danger of destroying some #CMSimple scripting --- lines# at the top of the content

This is what I am working now:

very easy and fast websites which must be up and running for some reasons in short time with CMSimple
then customizing CMSMadeSimple and deploying that instead
for some clients I have to work with Drupal and Typo3, but mostly as an editor, and in the moment I am moving one client from Contenido (that is a real pain in the ass...) to CMSMadeSimple

I feel like saying farewell to CMSimple after some time now, having given my 15 cents to it, but if you judge clearly, this system with only one and very individualistical developer has not such a bright future... :cry:
|---
Connie Müller-Gödecke, http://www.webdeerns.de

Till

Post by Till » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Connie wrote:.......in the moment I am moving one client from Contenido (that is a real pain in the ass...) to CMSMadeSimple........
I am working with Sefrengo which is a fork of a fork of Contenido - and therefore it has the same architecture. It is not that easy, but once understood it is a very nice system, very flexible with a high potential.

Till