How to create the Menu in CMS template?

General questions about CMSimple
Rommel

How to create the Menu in CMS template?

Post by Rommel » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi. I am creating a personalized template and I am successful in showing the page content and the news boxes. I have use the TOC tag to show the side menu as well. My concern then is how can I create the main navigational menu of my site or how can I style the menu generated by the TOC tag to show them as buttons? Can anyone help or point me to a tutorial on how to create a NAV MENU for a CMSimple_XH template???

Many thanks...

Tata

Re: How to create the Menu in CMS template?

Post by Tata » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:47 pm

CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

Rommel

Post by Rommel » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:57 pm

Tata, thanks for pointing out these tutorials. I will definitely study these materails during my free time. One question though, I am using a free version of Blumentals Easy CSS menu and I do not have control over the code (aside from me being a non-coder myself)... will Blumentals Easy CSS menu code work as well in CMSimple???

By the way here the link to their site https://www.easycssmenu.com/

Tata

Post by Tata » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:44 pm

Rommel wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:57 pm
... will Blumentals Easy CSS menu code work as well in CMSimple???
I doubt very much it will. The TOC function is defined explicitly in CMSimple_XH as one of the core functions which communicate with each other. And the core has nothing in common with any other CMS.
At the other hand, when you understand how the fnuction works and how its particular features shall/may be styled, you can built any navigation matching your design and behavioral expectation.
CMSimple.sk

Rommel

Post by Rommel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:54 am

Can I just copy a menu from an existing CMSimple_XH template, modify the styling such as color changes and insert/embed the code on my HTML page? That is if it is not against any agreement on the use of a particular template or CMSimple_XH.

Tata

Post by Tata » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:56 am

Basically it is not against the rules as most of the code is either under GPL v3. If there is any comment in the code files mentioning the author (oft also with usage condition statement), copy this comment and put it into your files. If there is requirement to keep links and comments in your files/template, put it there too. From my tutorials it is the same. You may copy/modify the code. Short mention about the source of your template is appreciated.
Somewhere in the footer a link e.g.: Template by "link to author" mod by "your link" is OK.
CMSimple.sk