Page scheduling addon

General questions about CMSimple

Should a scheduling functionality added to page_params plugin?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:14 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 12

mvwd

Re: Page scheduling addon

Post by mvwd » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:01 am

Hi all,

...i love it.
It's much easier to handle, because it can be set directly at the page's option. No need to integrate it via a plugin's call...
So i agree integrating it in the PL will be a good thing!

Some things to improve:
  1. Date-check:
    At the moment tha date-fields are checked for correct syntax with javascript. Because the admin is the only one that can control, i'm ok with it (otherwise it will be a security-hole). But nevertheless there's the need to improve:
    If you enter a incorrect date you'll get a Javascript-PopUp with an Error-Message. But sending the form will save the wrong date...
    My proposal: disable the submit-button on incorrect date, add a css-id for disabled submit-button (for make status "disabled" visible) and check both date-fields for correct syntax before enabeling the submit.
    Any other oppinions/proposals?
  2. Published = no
    If you entered a date and now decide to unpublish the page (Published = No), the entered date will be erased. Why? Wouldn't it be better to let the date be saved so it can be restored if the user decides to replublish the page!?
mvwd.

Gert

Post by Gert » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:35 am

Hallo,

based on a little diskuss with mvwd (responsible for page_data) per PM I think, we should wait for CMSimple_XH 2.0, or make a 1.2 with schedule. The result of the voting is clear, we will integrate it in page_params, but not without some small changes. But at first I will make the 1.1, without schedule, is that o.k., jerry?

Other opinions :?: We have time until tomorrow.

Gert
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

leenm

Post by leenm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:39 am

Gert wrote:I think, we should wait for CMSimple_XH 2.0, or make a 1.2 with schedule. The result of the voting is clear, we will integrate it in page_params, but not without some small changes. But at first I will make the 1.1, without schedule
I agree, this is a good idea. We have more time to integrate and test it then.

Leen

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 am

leenm wrote:
Gert wrote:I think, we should wait for CMSimple_XH 2.0, or make a 1.2 with schedule. The result of the voting is clear, we will integrate it in page_params, but not without some small changes. But at first I will make the 1.1, without schedule
I agree, this is a good idea. We have more time to integrate and test it then.

Leen
Yep, me too.

Holger

jerry

Post by jerry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi
will make the 1.1, without schedule, is that o.k., jerry?
It's fine with me.
To avoid confusion, I will stop the distribution of scheduling addon.
It can be requested by mail from my site.

The only reason that I delete date when Published = no is to act like other input fields in page_param. I prefer that date remains in the field.

By the way isn't it an idea to integrate both Page and Meta in admin.php?

Thanx you all for your support

jerry
jerry/simplesolutions

Gert

Post by Gert » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:57 am

jerry wrote:By the way isn't it an idea to integrate both Page and Meta in admin.php?
Hi jerry,

currently we want to provide these Plugins also without CMSimple_XH. It were double work to maintain the Plugin AND the admin.php, if one of the plugins are changed or improved.

Perhaps later, maybe in CMSimple_XH 2.0.
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

mvwd

Post by mvwd » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:39 am

jerry wrote:By the way isn't it an idea to integrate both Page and Meta in admin.php?
...i don't understand this.
Do you mean to integrate the plugins in the pluginloader-core!?

mvwd.

jerry

Post by jerry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Do you mean to integrate the plugins in the pluginloader-core!?
No in CMSimple_XH core
jerry
jerry/simplesolutions

mvwd

Post by mvwd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Hey Jerry,

i worked on the scheduling-function the last days (added a warning on submit if the fields aren't filled correctly....).

Your function works with an undefined field for a timezone.
- Do you think this is needed?
- For what reason?

mvwd.

jerry

Post by jerry » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:05 am

Hi mvwd

Undefined time zone is translated by php to zero (=no correction) so to do it easy I accept it too.

After some tests on an european and an US server I found GMT time most usefull. CMSimple is world wide so if you use an US server from Europe the time difference is at least 6 hours. I hope that most people are aware in which time zone their are. So I ended with time zone correction and correction for day light saving.

The other problem was to convert date input to time value. 2010-01-31 and 31-10-2010 gives two differnt time values in php 4. It's why I use the format yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm. I wish I could use both european and US date format but it gave unpredictable results.

Php 5 solves date convertion much beter then php 4, but there are stil many of cheap providers that only offer php 4 (I use one of them on my family and CMSimple plugin site) so I sugest that wee keep core CMSimple_XH in php 4. Plugin developers are free to use php 4 or 5 (or 6).

I hope that you can use above experience and good luck in development.

jerry
jerry/simplesolutions