To start or not to start?

General questions about CMSimple
jmu

To start or not to start?

Post by jmu » Fri May 30, 2008 10:59 am

Hello,

I'm new here, but I know CMSimple for some years. Now I have followed the recent discussion around CMSimple and its commercial license and I asked myself if I should go on with CMSimple. I think, it's one of the best CMS, but the recent troubles concerned me. What will be the position of CMSimple next year? Should I invest time and perhaps money in learning this system? When there is no support or no development in a year or so, I think it is better to put time in something else. Also, when the community thinks it's over, CMSimple will be dead in one or two years. Even when there is a commercial version. What do you think about this.

Joop

Connie

Re: To start or not to start?

Post by Connie » Fri May 30, 2008 4:39 pm

Joop,

do you think this was not discussed?
Why is this forum here?

Because we all think black ;=(

your thoughts are not very new, but somehow negative

it is up to you to decide if you will contribute and keep that program alive or whether you belong to the species of "Schlechtschwätzer" (as we say in my dialect...)

we can talk everything to be bad, dead or nearly dead or we can contribute and be active

so just continue to use CMSimple, if you have questions or tips and hints, come to the forum and contribute!

:P
|---
Connie Müller-Gödecke, http://www.webdeerns.de

wosee

Post by wosee » Sat May 31, 2008 6:19 am

It seems as if you have a very boring dialect Connie. :D We would say "Obezahara", "Schwitza" or even "Scheißkopf". ;)
Whatever.

You have to think about what you'll need and what you'll want from your Cms. If you want to set up a small static website (up to 500 sites), fast to configure and easy to maintain, CMSimple is probably the best decision. Bugfixing should not be the main problem in the future. However, noone knows if the system will be advanced. So if you'll create a huge website with user profiles, sessions, blog systems, and whatever, I think there are better solutions than CMSimple.

These are only my two cents indeed.

jmu

Post by jmu » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:52 am

@ Connie & Wosee,

Thanks for your reply. It was not my intention to be negative. All I want to figure out is what the status is of CMS is now. I read a lot of "angry" mail about what happened the last weeks, and now I want to know where all off you stand. Perhaps you say: please choose something else, or the opinion is: sure, CMS is the best and it will be in the future.
I think, CMS is one of the best in its kind, and I realy hope it will stay in that position. So I can invest time in it, and my work can go on.

Joop

Bogus

Post by Bogus » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:01 am

Hi ;)

I think that problem with the license have many ppl. But CMSimple ist very good CMS ;) When this forum know more many ppl, then has CMSimple a good future.
Greetings

Bogus

My MagiC Place

wosee

Post by wosee » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:21 am

jmu wrote:@ Connie & Wosee,
It was not my intention to be negative.
And it was not my intention to call you alarmist. However, we can't make your decision. As I already indicated and moreover as you said, CMSimple is one of the best of its kind and if we are able to evolve a huge and dedicated community there will be no problems.

mads

Post by mads » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:42 pm

CMSimple is here to stay! No doubt!
As long as we are people using it, it will stay alive...
As Connie says, it's a question of how to "talk about it". Focus on the negative aspect will gain more negativity.
Talking positive, developing, discussing and enjoying all the great benetfits, will definately also gain more positivity.
So lets remember all the positive things :-)
Like the fact that even Peter has made a commercial version, its still available for free :-)
And as it is for now, there are only minor differences...
I really enjoy the simplicity and strenght of this CMS, comparing to other cms systems i have tried.
One way (for me) to measssure succes, is in the fact that my costumers and friends really are able to run their sites them selfes, without too many computer skills. Earlier I have had costumers paying me to update their site, in a CMS system that was to complicated for them self!
A CMS (in my view) is suppose to be easy in the daily maintenance. And CMSimple is exactly the answer to that need!

So keep on using it, enjoy it, spread the word, and contribute to the community...
Thats the way to keep CMSimple alive!

Warm greetings from here,
:-) Mads