CMSimple 3.3 --> ???

Please post answers on the most frequently asked questions about CMSimple
hansfong

CMSimple 3.3 --> ???

Post by hansfong » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 am

Dug in my archive and came upon a website using CMSimple 3.3 from ten years ago. I would like to restore it with the look and feel of then, but I am confused now, so any guidance is appreciated.

1) when I put the old site in my local web server I simply get a blank page. Is that due to the incompatibility of the pHp versions used then and now? Or are there other reasons?

2) CMSsimple, CMSimple_XL, CMSimple Classic??? Life hasn't become easier, so what to choose to simply resurrect the old site? The look and feel is important, the site doesn't have to be edited anymore. It's only going to be on a local web server for historical reasons, so I'm not concerned about safety.

3) I already tried instructions viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4868, but I can't get it to work and the Utf8migrator_XH seems to be abandoned. Does anyone have more detailed, step-by-step instructions?

Thanks for all the help. --Hans

Holger
Site Admin

Re: CMSimple 3.3 --> ???

Post by Holger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:56 am

Hi Hans,
hansfong wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 am
1) when I put the old site in my local web server I simply get a blank page. Is that due to the incompatibility of the pHp versions used then and now? Or are there other reasons?
Yes, the PHP-Version should be the reason.
hansfong wrote:
The look and feel is important, the site doesn't have to be edited anymore. It's only going to be on a local web server for historical reasons, so I'm not concerned about safety.
Okay you don't need to edit the page and security is no problem?
So why don't you install an old PHP-Version / XAMMP on that local server? Or is that not an option, because you want to run other stuff there?

frase

Post by frase » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:17 am

You can have several xampp versions side by side on one computer. You only have to name the directories differently and start only one version at a time.
For this archive function you could actually install an old xampp version with the same PHP version as on the old server.

lck

Post by lck » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:11 am

hansfong wrote:
Dug in my archive and came upon a website using CMSimple 3.3 from ten years ago. I would like to restore it with the look and feel of then, but I am confused now, so any guidance is appreciated.
I have written a manual (unfortunately only in German), which should work with CMSimple 3.3 to CMSimple_XH 1.7.2. It is worth a try. But as always, make a backup of the website first.
„Bevor du den Pfeil der Wahrheit abschießt, tauche die Spitze in Honig!“   👉 Ludwig's XH-Templates for MultiPage & OnePage

lck

Post by lck » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:22 am

hansfong wrote:
The look and feel is important, the site doesn't have to be edited anymore. It's only going to be on a local web server for historical reasons, so I'm not concerned about safety.
In this case, Portable_XH 1.6 is sufficient as a local web server or, if it does not work with this release, a lower version (1.5, 1.4 ...).
Just tested it, Portable_XH 1.6 with CMSimple 3.0, running :) .
„Bevor du den Pfeil der Wahrheit abschießt, tauche die Spitze in Honig!“   👉 Ludwig's XH-Templates for MultiPage & OnePage

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:33 am

Not everybody uses Windows, though. :)
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

hansfong

Post by hansfong » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Hmmmm, I did indeed forget to mention that I am a Linux only shop, hence my local web server is a LAMP stack. And I am not a sys admin or developer of any kind, just an ordinary user, so by no means an expert.

I downloaded a XAMPP version from 2010, but it need a 32bit compatibility library, which Netrunner doesn't have in its repos ~ sigh!

But then again, I do want to run it on my server, so everyone in-house can enjoy a blast from the past. So sorry for being obnoxious but back to my original question: what to choose and how to upgrade? It is no problem to install the latest greatest CMSimple_XH, but up till now I can't really figure out how to transfer the date so that it works on the new CMS version.

Cheerio,

Hans

lck

Post by lck » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:50 pm

hansfong wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:46 pm
I downloaded a XAMPP version from 2010, but it need a 32bit compatibility library, which Netrunner doesn't have in its repos ~ sigh!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/ ... P%20Linux/
and there Version 1.8.2 or 1.6.4

How extensive is the page? If all else fails, you can send me a complete backup of your website and I will try to adapt it for CMSimple_XH 1.7.2 (if at all possible).

hansfong

Post by hansfong » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:29 pm

lck wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:50 pm
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/ ... P%20Linux/
and there Version 1.8.2 or 1.6.4

How extensive is the page? If all else fails, you can send me a complete backup of your website and I will try to adapt it for CMSimple_XH 1.7.2 (if at all possible).
Thanks for that pointer, just what I needed. I got XAMPP up and running and it can indeed run my CMSimple 3.3 website.

I don't think I'm going to take you up on the offer of converting the website, but thanks anyway, because that was really thoughtful. This old site is not very extensive and I think I'm going to convert all pages to pure html files and statically link them together (hello grep and sed). My first hand-coded website from the 90s was also pure html and that ran out of the box without any hick-up, so it seems quite resilient to future changes.

This really made my day, so thanks again. I'll buy y'all a virtual beer.

lck

Post by lck » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:00 pm

hansfong wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:29 pm
This really made my day, so thanks again. I'll buy y'all a virtual beer.
Thank you 👍