title char length indicator

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
svasti

title char length indicator

Post by svasti » Fri May 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi all,
I find the length indicator for the chars of the meta description very useful. Now I am reading that the lenght of the site title should be around 55 chars.
May be it would be practical to enable the counter also for the title entries?

cmb

Re: title char length indicator

Post by cmb » Fri May 15, 2015 11:52 pm

svasti wrote:Now I am reading that the lenght of the site title should be around 55 chars.
As usual, Google tries to see a web page as humans do. The <title> is typically displayed as label of the browser tab, and these tabs are rather limited in size. So it makes sense to have a short title, and to put the most important information at the beginning. I find it rather intriguing, how "SEO experts" create a complex science out of obvious stuff. :roll: (The stated "optimal" length of 55 characters resp. 512 pixels might easily become invalid tomorrow, by the way.)
svasti wrote:May be it would be practical to enable the counter also for the title entries?
I'm not against it. It might even make sense to enable the counter for all fields (textareas only?) which have a certain class. Anyway, I suggest you put your suggestion on the roadmap (choose the one you want it to happen; if others think it should be postponed, there's the "later" voting option).
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Post by svasti » Sat May 16, 2015 10:44 am

cmb wrote:I suggest you put your suggestion on the roadmap
done to 1.6.7
what about voting?

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon May 18, 2015 11:23 pm

svasti wrote:what about voting?
It appears that some of the items need clarification. At least some would benefit from respective patches or feature branches, so one could try it out (consider that we won't have a beta phase, and that regression bugs might need to be fixed soon). I'll try to work up on this matter in the next days. Any help is appreciated.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed May 27, 2015 7:45 pm

svasti wrote:May be it would be practical to enable the counter also for the title entries?
To clarify: is this supposed to be shown in the language settings as well as the meta_tags tab?