XH 1.7: Facilitate editing of hidden config options

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

Re: XH 1.7: Facilitate editing of hidden config options

Post by cmb » Tue May 05, 2015 9:36 pm

svasti wrote:What should be written on the button? "hidden settings"? "advanced settings"? "special settings"?
I don't care too much; just using $tx[$x][$y] should be sufficient to change it easily. I'm concerned about the implementation of the feature; might require some substantial changes to the FileArrayEdit class(es).
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu May 07, 2015 9:03 pm

cmb wrote:I'm concerned about the implementation of the feature; might require some substantial changes to the FileArrayEdit class(es).
So I gave it a try, and it wasn't too hard. It appears the ArrayFileEdit classes aren't so bad. :)

You can see a working draft in the advanced-settings branch. Advanced settings are marked with a + sign at the beginning of the respective $mcf value. I've changed only a few of the hidden settings to advanced; sufficient for testing and demonstration purposes. "hidden" fields still work, but could be removed later. The implementation is done as progressive enhancement (i.e. without JS the advanced fields will be shown, and there's no button to hide them). Advanced fields would also be possible for language files, but that would require some way to mark the fields ($mtx?).

Please have a look at the branch, report issues, make suggestions and/or improve it.

BTW: I've noticed a bug where the $cf['xhtml'] settings will be stored in config.php. I'll fix it right away in the trunk.

svasti

Post by svasti » Sat May 09, 2015 12:25 am

cmb wrote:So I gave it a try,
very nice result, and so simple in use! Even "more" and "less" are good, because "advanced" sounds so complicated.
I think that a very welcome addition.

However I would write on the button just "More", not "More ...", as the ellipsis is hardly visible and not really necessary. "More" is already a sufficiant indication of what's going to happen. Same for "Less". Besides if you write only "More" there is the nice effect that the "More"-button aligns perfectly with the "Save"-button (only in English).

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat May 09, 2015 1:09 am

svasti wrote:I think that a very welcome addition.
Thanks for having a look at it. :)
svasti wrote:However I would write on the button just "More", not "More ...", as the ellipsis is hardly visible and not really necessary.
As I said, I'm not really concerned about the label of the button – that's just a language setting, and it may be "Show more" or something else as well (it can be easily changed, anyway). If you like, just commit an improvement to the branch. :)

For me it's most important (a) if users should be able to edit advanced settings online at all, (b) whether advanced settings should be displayed in an own section (as it's currently implemented in the feature branch), or instead inline, (c) if hidden settings should be removed, and (d) which settings should be made advanced settings (if it's possible to edit advanced settings online, it may be reasonable to make more settings "advanced"). Furthermore it might make sense to have advanced settings for the language files also; perhaps even most of the localization could be made "advanced"?

PS: And of course, it might be considered how to tag the advanced settings. The trailing + was only a quick draft; a trailing "advanced|" might be easier understandable, and there may be better alternatives.

PPS:
svasti wrote:Besides if you write only "More" there is the nice effect that the "More"-button aligns perfectly with the "Save"-button (only in English).
There's the possiblity to add some `width` for the buttons, too.

svasti

Post by svasti » Sat May 09, 2015 11:19 am

Just keep it as simple as usable, but not simpler. (Wasn't it Einstein who said so?)
cmb wrote:(a) if users should be able to edit advanced settings online at all,
Yes, e.g. the $cf['mailform']['lf_only']
cmb wrote:(b) whether advanced settings should be displayed in an own section (as it's currently implemented in the feature branch),
yes
cmb wrote:(c) if hidden settings should be removed,
no
cmb wrote:(d) which settings should be made advanced settings
Just what you did. These are the settings which usually should not be touched, except in 1% of cases.
cmb wrote:The trailing + was only a quick draft; a trailing "advanced|" might be easier understandable, and there may be better alternatives.
No, no, that was a streak of genius and very easy to understand. Just leave it like this.
cmb wrote:Furthermore it might make sense to have advanced settings for the language files also; perhaps even most of the localization could be made "advanced"?
Not sure about that. In most cases users don't touch language files. Because there are simply too many items.
Only the settings in cmsimple/languages/xx.php, e.g. which used to be in xxconfig.php, will be changed. I don't see any use for "advanced" language settings yet.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed May 13, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks svasti, for having a look and the feedback. So I propose to merge r1610 of the "advanced-settings" branch.

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:23 pm

cmb wrote:So I propose to merge r1610 of the "advanced-settings" branch.
Done (r1624).