Small improvement to hi_updatecheck?

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
svasti

Small improvement to hi_updatecheck?

Post by svasti » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:20 pm

One little point:

Lets say I have a plugin myplugin version 1.0
No I hand out a plugin myplugin version 2.0 beta to testers. As it is still beta, I don't change the versioninfo on my server. However now the testers all get the error "Updatecheck for Myplugin failed!"

Wouldn't it be possible to give the Notice: "Updatecheck for Myplugin reports version 1.0 as up-to-date, installed plugin has version 2.0 beta" :?:

cmb

Re: Small improvement to hi_updatecheck?

Post by cmb » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:42 pm

svasti wrote:Lets say I have a plugin myplugin version 1.0
No I hand out a plugin myplugin version 2.0 beta to testers. As it is still beta, I don't change the versioninfo on my server. However now the testers all get the error "Updatecheck for Myplugin failed!"
I solve that by having separate version.nfo files: myplugin1.nfo and myplugin2.nfo. When I finally retire version 1, I copy myplugin2.nfo to myplugin1.nfo (a 301 redirect would be even better to cater to further changes of myplugin2.nfo). In my opinion that's a rather nice solution: the users of the stable version are not bothered at all, but the beta testers are informed about pending updates.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Post by svasti » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:49 am

True, a possibility. Still would be nice to thave his little change in the updatechecker...

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:58 pm

With regard to this issue http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 575#p46561, I'm about updating the updatchecker.
Beside manus request "only inform users on critical updates (configurable)" one thing still remains:
svasti wrote:Lets say I have a plugin myplugin version 1.0

Wouldn't it be possible to give the Notice: "Updatecheck for Myplugin reports version 1.0 as up-to-date, installed plugin has version 2.0 beta"
I'm not sure how to handle this request because the script should throw an error when the local installed version returns that it's newer as the newest version from the developer. In that case normally something went wrong :? .

I think the cleanest solution is to use different info-files as Christoph mentioned above. I did that the same way with KCFinder as I've introduced the new 2.x branch which come with incompatibilities in older XH-Versions. That way I could provide notifications for users of both branches. IMO that's more a feature than an issue.

BTW: you have a field in the version-file to give your users a little hint:
Additional_Infos: This entry is displayed in the (x)html-output to the user.
Normally keep this field empty. You can only give a short additional hint in only one language. Beside this, every script / html markup will be removed
Maybe it's useful for you too, even if the possibilities are limited.