Debug Mode Notice

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

Debug Mode Notice

Post by cmb » Thu May 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Hello Community,

Albert had reported issues regarding the debug mode notice in a German thread a while ago. Now I've stumbled over a similar (the same?) issue: even if the file that activates the debug mode was not there, the debug mode notice was shown. After some debugging I found the problem: in a plugin the error_reporting had been explicitely turned on.

Anyway, the question arises, whether the debug mode notice should be shown in such cases. Simply setting error_reporting might not even display the errors on screen (depending on the value of display_errors), and at least any errors/warnings/notices will not go through XH_debug(), so it seems somewhat reasonable to show the debug mode notice only, when XH's debug mode is enabled. OTOH that brings up the issue how to deal with extensions, that call error_reporting(0).

I tend to leave the handling of the debug mode notice as it currently is, and to advise extension writers and users doing customizations to avoid fiddling with error_reporting and display_errors, and to use XH's debug mode instead. If you agree, that should be added to the "golden rule".

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

manu

Re: Debug Mode Notice

Post by manu » Fri May 02, 2014 6:29 am

+1