Increasing the usability of plugins

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

Increasing the usability of plugins

Post by cmb » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Hello,

I've just thought about CMSimple_XH vs. GetSimple. The only thing that I liked better in GetSimple was a very simple feature of plugins. Consider e.g. Genizforum. You can have different forums with this plugin. Each forum goes on a different page. If the admin wants to have a new forum, he first has to create a new forum. Then he creates a new page and must insert the script code. But how was the function called? What parameters do I have to enter? What are the details of the syntax (if he only would know that it's called that way ;)). So he has to call the plugin help to hopefully find, what he is looking for.

I suggest to take some of the burden of the admin's shoulders, by simply displaying the required script call in the back-end plugin administration. So he can mark the call and copy it to the clipboard for later insertion to the page. Perhaps the plugin developer wants to use a button saying "copy script code to clipboard for later insertion to page". Perhaps he has two buttons, so this can be used with the very nice pd_scripting plugin, which doesn't require {{{ or #CMSimple $output.

Wouldn't that be a nice feature, at least for plugins like a forum or a gallery, which may display different information on possibly many different pages, all created by the admin. And I don't guess it takes long to be implemented.

Any comments appreciated.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Gert

Re: Increasing the usability of plugins

Post by Gert » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:52 am

Hallo Christoph,

every plugin developer is allowed to offer a "Plugin-Call Generator" in his plugin backend, if he wants ;)
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:58 am

I think it's a good idea and I'll start to include that feature in new plugins.

Holger

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:41 am

Hello Holger, hello Gert,

thanks for your feedback.
cmb wrote: And I don't guess it takes long to be implemented.
On further rethinking the problem, I encountered possible problems with the button solution. IMHO this must be implemented in JS, but AFAIK at least Firefox (default settings) won't allow clipboard manipulations with JS. But the "manual" solution should be indeed simple to implement.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH