Patches to CMSimple-XH x.x

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
Tata

Patches to CMSimple-XH x.x

Post by Tata » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:05 am

We have learned enough that the step from version to version takes some time. Also we saw that eventhough we thought that the ready version was failures free, there was still found something (a bog or a point of improvement). IMHO it would be good to release "semi-version-patches" containing only modified files.
E.g.:
CMSimple_XH_11_20100115.zip
CMSimple_XH_11_20100115_patch_20100122.zip - containing only fckconfig.js with changed

Code: Select all

//patch_20100122
//***FCKConfig.FontNames		= 'Arial;Comic Sans MS;Courier New;Tahoma;Times New Roman;Verdana' ;
//***FCKConfig.FontSizes		= 'smaller;larger;xx-small;x-small;small;medium;large;x-large;xx-large' ;
FCKConfig.FontNames = 'Arial;Comic Sans MS;Courier New;Tahoma;Times New Roman;Verdana;Georgia;Impact' ;
FCKConfig.FontSizes = '9px;11px;12px;14px;18px;24px;36px' ;
//***
CMSimple_XH_11_20100115_patch_20100225.zip - containing some other change, correction or modiffication
CMSimple_XH_11_20100115_patch_20100515.zip - containing some other change, correction or modiffication
CMSimple_XH_12_20100608.zip - CMSimple_XH_11- with all included changes, corrections or modiffications
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

leenm

Re: Patches to CMSimple-XH x.x

Post by leenm » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 am

IMHO a good idea, but we must not release a patch for every typo. Only release a patch when there's a important change which solves a problem. Not important changes can wait.

Leen

Tata

Post by Tata » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:53 am

leenm wrote:IMHO a good idea, but we must not release a patch for every typo.
I just thought it would make easier to prepare the changelog for any final version. I used this way in another area of my work. Each change was saved in new document with a comment in its header describing the change. Also each member of my team signed each change he had made in the document. So after last change we practically had a complet changelog included in final version of the document.
These (even only partial) changes often brought new ideas, warnings, improvements etc. Each had the possibility to see what the changes were and how things did work.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

phg

Post by phg » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi,

please excuse my simple question: Who of us is preparing this releases or intermediate files? Leen?
And what shall I do with my corrections? Example I found a Bug (soory, Holger) in the internal link-list and found zhe solution for it. I posted it in the appropiate Thread. Will Leen (or however it is) find it there and pick it up? I think, it would be better, I send a Mail or PM with details to this "Koordinator". Or will things change, when we are using Sourceforge?

My short-time memory istn't very good, so I want to finish this item.

phg

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:34 pm

phg wrote:My short-time memory istn't very good,
so I'll help you on that:
phg wrote:I found a Bug (soory, Holger)
just klick here: http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1542#p8547 and have a look at the thread-author :mrgreen:

phg

Post by phg » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:45 pm

@Holger

Maybe I am a little bit stupid (today or every time): I do not understand, what you mean. Shall it be a joke?

phg

phg

Post by phg » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:51 pm

@Holger,

Sorry, now I got it. It was Gert, who was so sensitive with BUGs. Sorry once more.

phg

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:56 pm

phg wrote:Sorry, now I got it.
;) :lol:

Holger

leenm

Post by leenm » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:02 pm

When we use sourceforge, we can also use a vcs feature (subversion or git). When we do so, everyone can commit changes, and those will be tracked too. When you don't know how a vcs works, it's probably a good idea to google a bit, so you understand the principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control). After that you're able to make a decision if you want to use it or not. The person who "coordinates" it, has only to check the commits and release the new version. When you're not familiar with such a system, no problem. You'll learn it :D .

Leen