Proposal for 1.8 - independent admin template for backend

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
frase

Re: Proposal for 1.8 - independent admin template for backend

Post by frase » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:44 pm

olape wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:32 pm
or copy adminmenu.css from the example into all template folders where the changed menu is desired.
Well, sure, that works too.
(By the way, I just updated the download with a few unimportant changes. But that doesn't matter much for the demo.)

manu

Post by manu » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:03 am

Very nice, congratulation! That's a very clean lookup.
I like the textarea resize to its content. Tested on very slow machines, menu languages, no delay noticed.
I leave it to you, Template derwishes, why this all is necessary. For me the next giant step would be a mobile view/admin menu. That would ease the way to administrate on mobile devices (mobile editor is available).
Questions:
Is classic-admin.min.js just a backup? Or why two mostly identical js files (hard to maintain)?
In config the Editmenu section is called Admin Menu in tooltip. Why not a so called Adminmenu section?
regards
manu

frase

Post by frase » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:09 pm

manu wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:03 am
Very nice, congratulation! That's a very clean lookup.
Thanks. With a "clean look" a goal has already been achieved.
manu wrote:
I like the textarea resize to its content. Tested on very slow machines, menu languages, no delay noticed.
Probably the JS responsible can be further optimized. But for this we still need a JS dervish. ;-)
manu wrote:
I leave it to you, Template derwishes, why this all is necessary.
manu wrote:
Questions:
Is classic-admin.min.js just a backup? Or why two mostly identical js files (hard to maintain)?
With the previous admin mode there were always problems with certain templates. The margin-top hack alone caused large shifts in the preview under certain circumstances. That's why the admin menu was put "above" the page instead of sneaking it "into" the page. Also, it can now be hidden and shown on demand.
To avoid new problems with existing templates that may rely on the "old" admin menu, we created the XH Classic mode. This should allow almost all existing templates to continue working as before. And exactly for this classic mode there is the "classic-admin.min.js".
It is now also easy to create your own admin menu. See for this: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16958&start=10#p78635
In this way, a good mobile menu can certainly be created.

But, it wasn't just about the admin menu at all.
Very important was also the uniform look of the admin mode in general.
Except for Edit/Preview, the user template is no longer loaded at all(!) Thus, a consistent design of the admin interface has become possible. It is also possible to create your own admin template here - no problem.
A side effect is that the core.css should actually become smaller - which also plays a role in the frontend. But you can't remove everything there, because many things are needed in edit/preview (PD tabs, system messages etc.).
manu wrote:
In config the Editmenu section is called Admin Menu in tooltip. Why not a so called Adminmenu section?
Yes, which configuration options are under which point (Accordion) and what exactly they should be called - we should think about that again.