Wishlist: drag&drop area in filemgr/Upload

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
manu

Wishlist: drag&drop area in filemgr/Upload

Post by manu » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:17 pm

As I get very common with tinymce4's imagetools I usually upload images by drag&drop in the content area.
How about a d&d zone in the filemanager's upload feature, driven by dropzone for example?
Would this be welcome? Does anybody have this already in the pipeline? Is there already a plugin for?
regards
manu

cmb

Re: Wishlist: drag&drop area in filemgr/Upload

Post by cmb » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:37 am

manu wrote:As I get very common with tinymce4's imagetools I usually upload images by drag&drop in the content area.
How about a d&d zone in the filemanager's upload feature, driven by dropzone for example?
Would this be welcome? Does anybody have this already in the pipeline? Is there already a plugin for?
Actually, I have recently thought about this, too. I have doubts, though, that spending much work on the Filebrowser would be reasonable – there are so many issues that it might be easier to program a new filebrowser (perhaps reusing some code of Filebrowser), and this one could also be field tested while the present Filebrowser could still be the default for some time.

Regarding the library: I'm more and more getting to a NMH (not-maintained-here) syndrom. For instance, I'm really unhappy that PlUpload switched to AGPL. That required me to release Uploader_XH under AGPL, too, and that means that everybody who uses a customized Uploader_XH on a public site is required to make the modifications available (at least on demand) for everybody. Other examples where relying on a foreign library turned out to be an unfortunate decision are Roundabout_XH, Browserupdate_XH and almost even Pagemanager_XH. And we should not forget about jQueryUI …

Re drag&drop based file upload: I really like that, but in my opinion, more important is the ability to upload multiple files at once (basically supported by <input type=file multiple>) and chunked upload for large files, which would otherwise exceed the PHP limits. Frankly, having $cf['images']['maxsize'] in 2018 is ridiculous.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH