Function for forwarding in page_params plugin (CMSimple_XH)

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
Gert

Re: Function for forwarding in page_params plugin (CMSimple_XH)

Post by Gert » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Holger wrote:But we should start to collect Martins snippets to provide some little HowTo's...
+1, but in this case we should recommend the php-redirect on page:

Code: Select all

#CMSimple header('Location:http://www.anotherpage.com'); #
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

johnjdoe

Post by johnjdoe » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:45 pm

Martin wrote:But anyway, for what purposes do you use redirections?
I often redirect within one CMSimple installation. By the way when I have a menu level wich I would redirect to another for different reasons. I use it often due to costumer requirements. OK, redirects to external pages is perhaps not often done. But IMHO we should let the user decide what he does with a redirect possibility.

johnjdoe

Post by johnjdoe » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:46 pm

Gert wrote:Martin, you are right. The toc is an internal navigation, there should not be external Links in it.
I agree with this and as I described it is not the goal of my feature proposition.

johnjdoe

Post by johnjdoe » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Gert wrote:
Holger wrote:But we should start to collect Martins snippets to provide some little HowTo's...
+1, but in this case we should recommend the php-redirect on page:

Code: Select all

#CMSimple header('Location:http://www.anotherpage.com'); #
IMHO page_params was coded to prevent that users has to play with CMSimple scripting. And it works really good. So if Martin could code this small feature in ± 15 minutes, why not include it and give page_params / CMSimple_XH an other nice feature who could be used by all users in a simple and smart way?

Gert

Post by Gert » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:55 pm

OK, as an internal link solution it could be useful, let's think about ...

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:06 pm

Gerd,

why don't you use / recommend Jens' advancedtoc.php, if you need redirections in the main navigation?
That's a really good solution for that.
Gert wrote:OK, as an internal link solution it could be useful,
@johnjdoe: I can't get what you mean with that? A navigation entry that redirects to another internal page?

IMO we should not integrate it. It's one more field for every page wich left almost unused.
Please remember our internal "garbage" discussion ;) .

Holger

Gert

Post by Gert » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 pm

... or use Martins snippet to add new features to page_params for your customers, whatever they want to have ;) I will do it this way, but not all features for every customer:
Martin wrote:It's really no big deal to add additional "page params". Maybe some variable for an header image that can be used in the template?
I could have many of such ideas, but the menu of page_params would cause vertical scrolling, if I would realise all that ideas ...

The variables for different header images could be a nice feature for Mikey ;)

Torsten.Behrens

Post by Torsten.Behrens » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:08 pm

My wish: CMSimple scripting from content.htm transferred to the pagedata.php. An extra box for scripting in Page Data.

Torsten
Torsten Behrens
CMSimple Templates

johnjdoe

Post by johnjdoe » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:03 am

Holger wrote:why don't you use / recommend Jens' advancedtoc.php,
Because I often use Tills toc function.
Holger wrote:
Gert wrote:OK, as an internal link solution it could be useful,
@johnjdoe: I can't get what you mean with that? A navigation entry that redirects to another internal page?
Small example: You have these menu entries:

Entry 1
+--SubEntry 1
+--SubEntry 2
+--SubEntry 3
Entry 2

For a reason whatever, your customer would not put text in "Entry 1" but wish that when a visitor clicks on "Entry 1" that he lands directly on "SubEntry 1". Sorry, but I often receive wishes like this and I would like to have a simple (without scripting) solution who's independent from the used toc function.

I hope that you understand now better, why I suggest this feature who's in my opinion important (even when the field stays often empty). Additionally this new function of page_params could be used for redirecting to external pages if the user would like to do it. So we don't have to explain him how to do it (with scripting, Jens' toc, ...). Finally, kill two birds with one stone and!

We say on cmsimple-xh.de that we made CMSimple_XH too for avoiding scripting and for increasing usability.

Sorry Holger for not agreeing with your argumentation. I think that the page_params developer SHOULD integrate this interesting new feature. It has nothing to do with "garbage".

johnjdoe

Post by johnjdoe » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:05 am

Torsten.Behrens wrote:My wish: CMSimple scripting from content.htm transferred to the pagedata.php. An extra box for scripting in Page Data.
That's a nice alternative too!