Move from SourceForge to Github

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

Re: Move from SourceForge to Github

Post by cmb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:18 pm

lck wrote:
cmb wrote:The repo is now available on https://github.com/cmsimple-xh/cmsimple-xh.
Can this be set so that the current version is displayed, so currently 1.6.9? It 's only a bit difficult to select the right version via Branches and Tags.
No, Github always defaults to master (which is supposed to become 1.7 eventually).

Note that there is also a Release overview where you could download the sources as ZIP.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:51 pm

cmb wrote:
lck wrote:The media folder in ./userfiles/ is missing. This could also concern other folders, not yet checked. As Holger mentioned, GitHub ignores empty folders without a .gitkeep file.
Thanks! I've completely forgot that. I'll see how to fix that best (probably only for master and 1.6).
Done

manu

Post by manu » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:06 am

Since I'm not very used to the GIT line commands - I suppose I'm not very alone with that - what do you propose for a GUI to get along with all that GIT thingy?
Surprizingly I have two of them installed "Tortoise GIT" and "Git Gui" both never used a long time. I suppose the GitHub Desktop is the right thing. I would appreciate if all the amatours among us could decide to use more or less the same GUI, in case for helping eachother.
Does anybody have already done any experience with those tools?
regards
manu

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:14 am

manu wrote:Since I'm not very used to the GIT line commands - I suppose I'm not very alone with that - what do you propose for a GUI to get along with all that GIT thingy?
For those who already worked with TortoiseSVN I'd recommend TortoiseGit; AFAIK it's based on TortoiseSVN and the usage is certainly rather similar.
manu wrote:I would appreciate if all the amatours among us could decide to use more or less the same GUI, in case for helping eachother.
Not sure if that's necessary. It might be more helpful to learn the basics of the Git command line (even if one is mostly using a GUI); after all, that is the most powerful and general way to use Git. Furthermore, some googling usually quickly yields the required recipe or tip (often on StackOverflow). Note that it's usually fine to mix GUI and CLI usage (sometimes it's even necessary with TortoiseGit, because it doesn't implement all relevant commands, for instance, `git bisect skip` is not yet available).

PS: Several editors and IDEs have some kind of Git integration, in which case it might be best to use this one.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:07 pm

I suggest to finalize the move to Github with the release of CMSimple_XH 1.7.0. I mean:
  • Offer the downloads on Github instead of SourceForge.
  • Prominently announce on our SourceForge project page, that we've moved to Github.
  • Announce that also as news on cmsimple-xh.org
If there are no objections, I'll make it so.