Move from SourceForge to Github

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

Move from SourceForge to Github

Post by cmb » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi!

I suggest that we move the CMSimple_XH code repository from SourceForge to Github, and consequently, from SVN to Git.

I see so many advantages by switching from Git to SVN for us, that I can't even list them. The only disadvantages that I see are (a) developers not accustomed to Git would have to learn a new version control system, and (b) some migration effort (and maybe a not 100% clean migration). Regarding (a), in my opinion, learning a more contempory version control system is worth the effort. Regarding (b) the additional work may quickly been compensated by the accelerated workflow.

Switching from SourceForge to Github is even more a no-brainer, in my opinion. The main advantages are that Github is much faster and (or better, because) Github serves way less ads (actually, none).
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

cmb

Re: Move from SourceForge to Github

Post by cmb » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:39 am

I've opened the vote on this item – voting ends on 2016-12-10.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:06 am

Just a gentle reminder:
cmb wrote:I've opened the vote on this item – voting ends on 2016-12-10.

manu

Post by manu » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:31 am

Is the an easy walk through for git beginners, perhaps in different languages?
Will the Version History also ported to Github?
regards
manu

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:05 am

manu wrote:Is the an easy walk through for git beginners, perhaps in different languages?
There's a lot of stuff available on the WWW. For instance, a very terse guide (translated into several languages), the Atlassian Git tutorials and the comprehensive Git book (also available in several languages).
manu wrote:Will the Version History also ported to Github?
Yes (execpt that the revision numbers will be lost, as Git uses hashes to mark commits). See, for instance, Portable_XH's repo which I did convert from SVN some days ago (without manual post-treatment).

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:14 am

Moving our repo from SourceForge to Github has been approved by 4 votes to 0. Thanks to all who have voted! I'll see to the migration after the release of CMSimple_XH 1.6.8.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:56 pm

The repo is now available on https://github.com/cmsimple-xh/cmsimple-xh. The migration appears to be mostly complete (including the SVN revision numbers in the respective commit messages; search for "@<number>" instead of "r<number>"). However, some of the older branches and tags have been ignored by `git svn clone` – don't know why, but this seems to be tolerable.

You might want to check for yourself, if everything is okay for you.

lck

Post by lck » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:42 pm

cmb wrote:The repo is now available on https://github.com/cmsimple-xh/cmsimple-xh.
Good job.

The media folder in ./userfiles/ is missing. This could also concern other folders, not yet checked. As Holger mentioned, GitHub ignores empty folders without a .gitkeep file.
It is not nice if you download the master branch as a user, you first have to muck out, all that does not belong to CMSimple_XH. Is there a solution for this?
„Bevor du den Pfeil der Wahrheit abschießt, tauche die Spitze in Honig!“   👉 Ludwig's XH-Templates for MultiPage & OnePage

lck

Post by lck » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:10 pm

cmb wrote:The repo is now available on https://github.com/cmsimple-xh/cmsimple-xh.
Can this be set so that the current version is displayed, so currently 1.6.9? It 's only a bit difficult to select the right version via Branches and Tags.
„Bevor du den Pfeil der Wahrheit abschießt, tauche die Spitze in Honig!“   👉 Ludwig's XH-Templates for MultiPage & OnePage

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:12 pm

lck wrote:The media folder in ./userfiles/ is missing. This could also concern other folders, not yet checked. As Holger mentioned, GitHub ignores empty folders without a .gitkeep file.
Thanks! I've completely forgot that. I'll see how to fix that best (probably only for master and 1.6).
lck wrote:It is not nice if you download the master branch as a user, you first have to muck out, all that does not belong to CMSimple_XH. Is there a solution for this?
You can simply ignore the other stuff – should work fine; I'm working with these check-outs most of the time (the only minor drawback is that the CMSimple_XH version is just a mock, so the UpdateCheck fails). Of course, a check-out or source download is not meant to be installed on a production server.

And maybe some of the developement stuff is of use for you, see http://www.cmsimple-xh.org/wiki/doku.ph ... nvironment.