CMSimple_XH 1.6

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
cmb

Re: CMSimple_XH 1.6

Post by cmb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Heeding uwes' concerns:
uwes wrote:
cmb wrote:even if JScript was (or still is?) the name chosen by Microsoft's implementation.
This would be my main concern with that name.
"scripts" might be the best solution.

And actually, the name doesn't matter too much (we might even call it foobar/)---what matters most is that it's working. (I can only hope, that scripts/, or any other name, doesn't redirect on other servers.)
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

uwes

Post by uwes » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:34 am

Just had a look - folder names are in both singular and plural, so go ahead with "scripts". This should be sufficiently reasonable.

uwes

Post by uwes » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:38 am

Changed to "scripts", and it works - at least on my server. :o

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:46 am

"jscripts" or "scripts", not of big difference. jscripts would only contain JS scripts, scripts could contain other types of scripts but PHP scripts are already placed in classes folder and somewhere else, so "what else?" (as would say Georges). However I have no rather precise idea of the future of XH.
Personally my scripts are placed for years in a folder addons/js/ .

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:04 pm

Bob wrote:jscripts would only contain JS scripts, scripts could contain other types of scripts but PHP scripts are already placed in classes folder and somewhere else, so "what else?" (as would say Georges).
A very apposite quote! Who knows, maybe sometimes there will be placed some CoffeeScript scripts. ;) However, actually I don't hope so, and I guess we'll stick with ECMAScript.

The problem with jscript/ has been already mentioned. scripts/ might indeed be a bit broad.
Bob wrote:Personally my scripts are placed for years in a folder addons/js/ .
After some reconsideration I think js/ is best. This suits nicely with the already existing css/ folder, and other wide-spread CMSs use it, too (e.g. WordPress).
Bob wrote:However I have no rather precise idea of the future of XH.
Well, me neither. Actually, you'll never know how a system evolves, particularly if it's an open source software.

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:20 pm

But to avoid the confusions with the contents of secondary languages, js/ should/could take place under the folder cmsimple/ ... :?:

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Bob wrote:But to avoid the confusions with the contents of secondary languages
Good point -- have not thought about it. Actually, there is no ISO 639-1 language code "js", and as long as there's no js/.2lang everything works as expected. However, confusion might arise, indeed.
Bob wrote:js/ should/could take place under the folder cmsimple/
I rather wouldn't do this. Originally, css/core.css was stored as cmsimple/cmsimplecore.css, but it couldn't be accessed, because the folder is access protected (see the internal discussion). It is possible to remove the access protection for subfolders (and actually individual files), but I have some doubts regarding servers other than Apache (a user has to manually protect the cmsimple/ folder for IIS and nginx, for instance, and might forget to unprotect the js/ folder).

So, what now?

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Bob wrote:I think the problem was the sessions ID (i saw them in certain URL).
Thanks for pointing that out. See also Important PHP settings for CMSimple_XH 1.6.

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:35 am

So, what now?
Why not core/js/ and core/css/?

The problem of the session IDs :
The default configuration is correct on 1&1 servers (PHP 5.4) but not on OVH servers (PHP 5.2) : trans_id = 1 and only_cookies = Off. :(
I force them with an .htaccess (php.ini seems unknown. Mutualized servers).

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Bob wrote:Why not core/js/ and core/css/?
I like this idea, because there will be one folder less in the installation root. I'm not sure, though, if I shall make this change without further voting -- we might end with yet another folder structure in XH 1.6.2.