CMSimple_XH 1.6 BETA

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
cmb

Re: CMSimple_XH 1.6 BETA

Post by cmb » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:00 pm

simpleSolutions.dk wrote:Can't get 2lang to work
All language contents are expected in the content/ folder in the root. The structure should be:

Code: Select all

content/
  content.htm
  da/
    content.htm
See the discussion in http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6625.

PS:
simpleSolutions.dk wrote:No danish flag is visible on test site.
Has the installation folder executable rights (755 or 777)?
Last edited by cmb on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added PS
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

simpleSolutions.dk

Post by simpleSolutions.dk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:12 am

Hi Christoph

I have got it to work.
The folder structure must be as befor version 1.6 expect the content file that must be moved to ./content/da/.

Tata

Post by Tata » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 am

simpleSolutions.dk wrote:The folder structure must be as befor version 1.6 expect the content file that must be moved to ./content/da/.
That's why I think that at least one more language (2lang) should be delivered with the installation package. Then only copy/paste/renaming of folders both in root and content would be necessary.
E.g.:
[ external image ]
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

oldnema

Post by oldnema » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:11 am

Tata wrote: That's why I think that at least one more language (2lang) should be delivered with the installation package. Then only copy/paste/renaming of folders both in root and content would be necessary.
Yes, it would be understandable to the user.
Josef
Nobody knows how much time he has left ...
http://oldnema.compsys.cz/en/?Demo_templates

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Tata wrote:That's why I think that at least one more language (2lang) should be delivered with the installation package. Then only copy/paste/renaming of folders both in root and content would be necessary.
We had this discussion in http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6625. On Sunday I have implemented the "semi-automatic" solution. IMHO this is better than offering a 2lang/ folder inside of content/, as it clearly shows where content.htm is expected (if it is not there). In case of an upgrade the user can than put his old content.htm in this place; in case of a new language he can simply save the contents and content.htm is automatically created.

You can see how it works in the current snapshot.

Tata

Post by Tata » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Yes, so does it work quite LMOAT fine. So it is a combination of old feature (copying/renaming the 2lang folder) and the new one creating required structure under /content.
The folder is created, but the warning

Missing content file
../content/sk/content.htm

NEW PAGE

is still there.
Sorry, that the folders can't be created by CMS itself. It would be more comfotable. But this is a problem of an ownership.

EDIT:

The reason found.
Working on iMAC, there is a need to set the permissions. Setting RWE made it.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:33 am

Tata wrote:The folder is created, but the warning

Missing content file
../content/sk/content.htm

NEW PAGE

is still there.
Sorry, that the folders can't be created by CMS itself. It would be more comfotable. But this is a problem of an ownership.
Well, the warning is a general warning to cater for missing content files. Additionally, it is there to tell users who upgraded to CMSimple_XH 1.6 that they have to move the existing content.htm (and pagedata.php!) to the indicated location. New users who do not already have an existing content.htm, may simply ignore the warning and (try to) save the new contents--this will work if the content/ folder is writable. Otherwise they get the error message, that the file couldn't be saved, and hopefully, they are able to figure out the reason resp. create the file manually (with the appropriate file permissions).

I'm aware that the former solution to simply make a copy of 2lang/ was easier to grasp, but the new folder layout offers the advantage of having the contents of all languages in a single folder, so making a backup is very simple, and it may be even done with an advanced filebrowser, such as hi_kcfinder.

This way I only see two shortcommings for admistrating a multilingual website:
  1. on logout, only a backup of the current language contents is made
  2. the language menu is somewhat restricted
(2) can be handled by a plugin (basically, Multilang_XH does this, but it won't work with CMSimple_XH 1.6; I'm planning to release Polyglott_XH as soon as possible, to provide an alternative). (1) is something to consider to improve the core (might be rather simple to add).

jpafonso

Post by jpafonso » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi.

I'm new to CMSimple (more or less), and thought to give it a try. After the usual doubts about which off-shot I should try, I choose CMSimple_XH because, well, maybe it was luck, it was the first one I got to function with wraper, a plug-in I wanted to use. There are no comparative reviews in the web I could find about the main branches of CMSimple, so every choice is about to be decided by small details like that, I guess. And, since I have no prejudices to loose, why not start with 1.6beta, right away?

About this one, nice touch the junction of the content.htm with the pagedata.php. First, I was skeptical (to edit content.php and delete pagedata.php, was much more easy going to do with the older architecture), but after that, I understood that to delete pagedata.php with the facilities I'm seeing (like publication date and such) is to loose every one of these. I was being dumb.

It is about publication modes I want to talk about. To reproduce the problem:

1. Decompress CMSimples_1.6Beta1.zip for a folder

2. Adjust the necessary permissions (css, etc).

3. Do login, choose pages on the menu and watch the expected result

4. Enter edit mode, go to menu levels and settings, choose Menu level 2 - page 2, go to page specification and choose no in "publishing?"

5. return to pages in menu...

The organization of pages became confused. I don't understand the rationale behind the bug (what is happening to explain the way it reorganizes entries).
Forgive me if this is not the right place (or even the right time) to report this. Beyond that, it appears to be functioning well, until now.

PS.: I forgotting to mention, I'm working with Apache on Fedora 19, installed from the scratch.

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi,
jpafonso wrote:There are no comparative reviews in the web I could find about the main branches of CMSimple, so every choice is about to be decided by small details like that, I guess.
Indeed, comparative reviews of the actively developed CMSimple forks are missing. There's only a superficial comparison in the CMSimple Wiki, which may not help much in its current form, but perhaps somebody is willing to extend it.

I agree that the decision between CMSimple_XH and CMSimple v4 currently comes down to some small details (if one doesn't need the subsite or co-author feature of the latter). However, in the long run both variants are quite likely to drift apart.
jpafonso wrote:About this one, nice touch the junction of the content.htm with the pagedata.php.
And overdue since a long time, in my opinion.
jpafonso wrote:The organization of pages became confused. I don't understand the rationale behind the bug (what is happening to explain the way it reorganizes entries).
Indeed, there is a bug in the Pagemanager. This behavior was pointed out to me a few days ago, but I didn't had time to check out the exact reason. An ad-hoc workaround is to change the URL after calling "Pages": replace /?&normal&xhpages with /?&edit&xhpages and press enter. After this, the page structure should be okay, and you can use the Pagemanager as usual.
jpafonso wrote:Forgive me if this is not the right place (or even the right time) to report this.
This place is perfectly fine (for bug reports regarding a stable version of CMSimple_XH the bug forum or the bug tracker on SourceForge would be appropritate), and so is the time (I prefer catching bugs as early as possible).

Christoph

jpafonso

Post by jpafonso » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi,

That was a very fast answer, Christoph, thanks.
cmb wrote:I agree that the decision between CMSimple_XH and CMSimple v4 currently comes down to some small details (if one doesn't need the subsite or co-author feature of the latter).
Funny. The first time I worked with CMS (by insistence of a partner), some years ago, those features would have been nice. People around me wanted to refresh their previous site, combining the easiness of CMSimple to managing content, with pages already done that accessed databases. I thought also they wanted the same look and feel of the old site. So, in the end, I created a site which was composed by several CMSimples working in parallel, along specialized pages difficult to put inside CMSimple... a virtual site which looked the same everywhere but internally was several CMSimples looking alike. So, I'm a buyer to CMSimple_XH 1.6 argument that it is doable to install different CMSimples to each subsite (if needed), because I already did that. It is not nice or easy, but if that prevents complications, I understand it.

Recently, I thought to upgrade that work to a more modern CMSimple, from version 3, and to join all the CMS into only one, even if that would sacrifice some look and feel of the original site. I started with CMSimple v4 because... 4 is after 3, right? Then I discovered there was something called CMSimple XH. Well, I tend to stick with my first choices, and CMSimple v4 works very fine. That should have be the end of it. But what I was finding of CMSimple_XH, the community, the resources, the road-map, the answers when I googled something about CMSimple, it was very alluring too. So, I decided to implement my site with both versions, see how far I could go with each. As I said before abut CMSimple_XH, "maybe it was luck, it was the first one I got to function with wraper, a plug-in I wanted to use"... that decided it.

Now, I started using the word funny, but I should have used the term "funny to the square" instead. Because, CMSimple is presented as CMS without need of a database, but the users of the site I was talking about, want to use it as a front-end to a site that is able to use databases. Either is (mine) ignorance or a tribute to the (effectiveness of) CMSimple, they like it, they want it. That's one of the reasons why my first CMSite was a collection of several ones, because some of the entries on my main menu were database generated. At the time, I didn't do anything better than to construct non-cmsimple pages to deal with that, accessed from the main menu which choose also which CMSimple installation to choose on the other entries. For unify all these in one single CMSimple, I'm now using a slightly changed li() function, called with toc(null,null,'li2') at the template - a nice surprise in the toc(), in relation to other CMSimple versions I tried before -, that when it finds an heading (H1, H2, H3...) with a special sintaxe, will feed it to a costumable function that will return the final menu to substitute the one that should have created with the Header. That's the reason why I wanted wraper, I wanted to avoid unnecessary calls to the database to create the menu, each time an entry was chosen... if the menu was created from the database.

I'm explaining all this (sorry if it is long), because, maybe you know more elegant ways to do that. Or if not, perhaps you find it enough interesting to discuss it to be included in the future, or even in the 1.6. The changes to do in the li() are minimal, about 3 lines. The call argument on the toc() allows me to do this without change the CMSimple core, so it is not really important, but I fail to see a good way to do a fallback if the right template is not used. In that case, the entries with the funny syntax would appear... and I cannot use a #CMSimple hide# because I'm under the impression that in that case, the toc() function will filter it before it reachs the li() function (and the hide() is hard-called into toc()... so, I cannot substitute hide() without substitute the toc... it starts to be to many core functions to substitute; I want to reduce my hacks to minimal, to get the most from CMSimple improvements.).

A similar concern I solved in the past with another hack, is to differentiate pages inside the cmsimple which are public, from ones which are only accessible through an intranet. Can you tell me if there is an elegant way (an add-on or a feature usable under 1.6) I can use?
cmb wrote:Indeed, there is a bug in the Pagemanager. This behavior was pointed out to me a few days ago, but I didn't had time to check out the exact reason. An ad-hoc workaround is to change the URL after calling "Pages": replace /?&normal&xhpages with /?&edit&xhpages and press enter. After this, the page structure should be okay, and you can use the Pagemanager as usual.
I tried that and it works. Thanks!
cmb wrote:
jpafonso wrote:Forgive me if this is not the right place (or even the right time) to report this.
This place is perfectly fine
But perhaps not for the kind of long talk I wrote earlier. Sorry. I'll compensate it later (Experimenting like I'm doing, I'm fated to find bugs if there are ones).

Thanks for the attention.

João Pedro Afonso