CMSimple_XH 1.6 BETA

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
cmb

Re: CMSimple_XH 1.6 BETA

Post by cmb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Bob wrote:Tests and the translation of files in French are in progress...
Testing (and giving feedback) is highly appreciated, but you may better wait with the translation at least until the first release candidate will be published. There have already been several additions to the language strings, and there may be more changes. However, you may want to have a look at the possibility to localize the labels of the configuration and language forms, what is exemplarily shown in cmsimple/languages/metade.php for German (should be metafr.php for French). I have some doubt that this simple draft will really work; it's not unlikely that it would be better to offer more individualized translations. Cf. http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 009#p35753.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi Christoph
It is important indeed to begin early the translations to verify what remains (should be) to localize before the release candidate. The management of CMSimple was profoundly modified. I shall go back up some already seen errors. Metafr.php is done.
In later.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:36 pm

Hi Bob,
Bob wrote:It is important indeed to begin early the translations to verify what remains (should be) to localize before the release candidate.
Good point! Some rare messages missing internationalization are likely to go unnoticed (actually there are some of these cases in XH 1.5.x, and there still might be some in XH 1.6).
Bob wrote:I shall go back up some already seen errors.
That would be great.

Christoph

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 am

Hi
Already a question. metaxx.php localizes only certain names of variables in the administration.
However we find ourselves with too many variables to be translated and without interest for those of the file language for example.
I join screenshot to show the English-French mixture which I obtain with metafr.php.
In my opinion most of the names of variables in English can stay when there are localized helps, and in the menu language we are not going to translate the variable to be translated, aren't we? ;-)

[ external image ]

jpafonso

Post by jpafonso » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:39 pm

cmb wrote:Well, I'm not aware of any security issues regarding #CMSimple hide#--it simply hides the page from the menu (and sitemap etc.) If one knows the page's URL, he can access the page nonetheless.
Exactly. So, I was not talking here about true restrictions based on sites or people, but just some cover-up. Anyone who knows what are the links, will find them.
cmb wrote:Anyway, you may use the following in userfuncs.php to avoid modifying the core files:
Very nice!!! It took me sometime to recognize how the idea works. I think I can use it also in other concerns.
cmb wrote:I consider it of utmost importance to bring the code base up-to-date and to employ contemporary software development practices.
Being a self-taught programmer, I'm very curious about this aspect of the project. I hope I'll learn something from it, too.

JPA
Last edited by jpafonso on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Bob wrote:Already a question. metaxx.php localizes only certain names of variables in the administration.
However we find ourselves with too many variables to be translated and without interest for those of the file language for example.
Well, as it is now, the entries in metaXX.php are completely optional. If there is an appropriate entry, it will be used to translate the label; otherwise the label will be shown in English (however, it is even possible to have metaen.php, and it might be reasonable to transcribe some labels). So one can simply remove the lines that don't seem necessary/sensible to translate.

The missing translation string are due to the fact, that I'm not sure if the current concept will work at all, so it basically is a draft for now. During the creation of metade.php I noticed some (minor) problems.
Bob wrote:In my opinion most of the names of variables in English can stay when there are localized helps
It's hard for me to tell, as I speak English quite well, and so I don't have any problems with the English labels. However, a user who doesn't speak any English at all might have to hover over all the help icons to find the appropriate one. A user not accustomed to Roman letters at all might have even more problems. On the other hand, the translation of the labels might make it harder for any support description (e.g. in a help file), and of course it is more work for the translators.

That's the reason why I wanted to get some feedback of users and translators, if the feature and it's current implementation is reasonable at all. We could simply drop it, or keep it as it is, but without delivering translations.

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Today metaXX seems to add more problems for the developers than of solutions and real comfort for the final users (even if the initial idea is very good). I am not a developer of CMSimle_XH (just small solutions in usefuncs for customers), however I have no negative returns on variables at present in English in the administration. For the moment it could be all the same a usefull solution if limited in labels of groups of language variables (as in header of my screenshot).
Read of what everybody thinks of it here...