SOLVED | change forum user name

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
twc

SOLVED | change forum user name

Post by twc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 am

can please some admin here change my user name twc to Fiberdordrecht please

Last edited by twc on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmb

Re: change forum user name

Post by cmb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:25 am

Hi twc,

that's probably not the best idea, as exisiting quotes will not be adjusted by the forum software. If you like, you can create a new user account; we'll keep the old one of course. Jerry did this a while ago: formerly he was "jerry", now he's "simpleSolutions.dk".

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:33 am

Hi twc,
twc wrote:can please some admin here change my user name twc to Fiberdordrecht please
Hmm, there's a little problem because quotes of user twc in existing posts will refer to a non existing user :? .

Could it be an option for you to register a new account?

Holger

Tata

Post by Tata » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Isn't there an oprion to create an alias?
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

twc

Post by twc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:18 pm

cmb wrote:Hi twc,

that's probably not the best idea, as exisiting quotes will not be adjusted by the forum software. If you like, you can create a new user account; we'll keep the old one of course. Jerry did this a while ago: formerly he was "jerry", now he's "simpleSolutions.dk".

Christoph
:? thats weird because i am on more dutch forums,
and there the can change my user name, only my inlog name and pass are still the same.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:14 pm

twc wrote:and there the can change my user name, only my inlog name and pass are still the same.
In phpBB there's only 1 username, which serves as login name too. So it's not possible that the user changes it himself. It is possible to change the username in the admin section, but the problem with existing posts and quotes remains. Consider this thread: I have just quoted what you have written. It says "twc wrote". But if I change your username to "Fiberdordrecht", it will still say "twc wrote". That's probably confusing for newcomers to the forum. See e.g. http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=158. A user named "jana75" asked a question. Suddenly the username changed to "leamaus"---IMO quite confusing.

So why don't you just stick with "twc". Your well known in the forum under this name, and Fiberdordrecht is prominently displayed as your signature.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:59 pm

twc wrote:thats weird because i am on more dutch forums,
and there the can change my user name, only my inlog name and pass are still the same.
But then the problem with the quotes is there too - independent from a different login-name ;) .