CMSimple_XH.com has moved to .org

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
svasti

CMSimple_XH.com has moved to .org

Post by svasti » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 am

Hello everybody:

The official website of the CMSimple_XH project has moved to CMSimple-xh.org.
If you go to CMSimple-xh.com, you will be automatically referred to CMSimple-xh.org.

So all you template-designers out there, please add at the bottom of your templates the link:
<a href="http://cmsimple-xh.org">Powered by CMSimple_XH</a>

svasti

cmb

Re: CMSimple_XH.com has moved to .org

Post by cmb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi svasti,
svasti wrote:So all you template-designers out there, please add at the bottom of your templates the link:
I assume you've meant "change" instead of "add", as a backlink to cmsimple-xh.org is not required (however, it's welcome, though).

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Post by svasti » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:19 pm

:oops: Of course, for those who put such a link in their templates, I suggest to link to cmsimple-xh.org in future.

Gert

Post by Gert » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:41 pm

so I would like to see a link to cmsimple.org ;)

Gert
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Hello Community,

of course the move concerns not only templates, but also the CMSimple_XH base distribution. There are several links in the "demo" content and in the code of the core (generator tag, info page), which have to be adjusted. And there are several links in the templates, which were designed and contributed by Gert. I suggest to change the "Powered by" links to xh.org and the "Template by" links to ge-webdesign.de (or should it be cmsimple-xh.de or even cmsimple.org?)

Christoph

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:46 pm

Well,
since Gert has taken over CMSimple and uses a forked XH for CMSimple V 4 and above, I think we have a new situation at all:
the development of XH and CMSimple seems to become (slightly?) different in the future.
And I've noticed that from now some other things started to split too. I'm not happy about all that news, but that's live. And maybe things become easier in the future.

So what should a Template-Designer now do with the "Powered by" - link? CMSimple-XH.org, CMSimple.org or CMSimple 4 - powered?
All those variants might stay compatible. Just a question of time until the next discussions between upset people regarding that links comes up.
(BTW: the "Powerde by" link is not a "must be", whether in XH, nor in CMSimple, AFAIK)

So is it a bad idea to introduce a new template-tag for the "Powered by" links together with Gert and for all those, who start an own fork in the future?
That's IMO the only way for a Template-Designer to contribute to all variants his templates made for (if he want to do that).
And, of course, the "Template by" link should point to a domain of the choice of the desingner.

KR
Holger

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:01 am

Hi Holger,
Holger wrote:BTW: the "Powerde by" link is not a "must be", whether in XH, nor in CMSimple, AFAIK
Of course, it isn't. Both variants are provided under an unmodified GPLv3, so there's no link requirement. It's just a nice way to give something back to the developer(s) of the chosen CMSimple variant.
Holger wrote:So is it a bad idea to introduce a new template-tag for the "Powered by" links together with Gert and for all those, who start an own fork in the future?
IMO: no. On the contrary: I've seen a lot of CMSimple installations which are powered by another variant as is linked in the template. But OTOH this requires all variants to implement this template tag (otherwise inserting the template tag would result in a "blank screen" or at least wouldn't output anything). An idea (not even a suggestion) to solve this problem for templates in a backward compatible way:

Code: Select all

<?php if (!defined('POWERED_BY') define('POWERED_BY', '<a href="...">my prefered CMSimple variant</a>'); echo 'Powered by ', POWERED_BY);?>
Holger wrote:And, of course, the "Template by" link should point to a domain of the choice of the desingner.
That is quite reasonable. One thing that might be appropriate, is that this choice shouldn't change arbitrarily, as this might cause new releases to be made, if the designer decides that he wants to be linked to another domain.

Christoph

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:28 am

Hello Community,

I'm just working on "Fix links to CMSimple_XH website", which was decided for CMSimple_XH 1.4.5. I've stumbled upon the following in the templates:

Template by <a href="http://www.cmsimple-xh.de">CMSimple_XH</a>
How shall this be adjusted to the new situation? Linking back to cmsimple-xh.de is okay (and it seems this backlink is desired by Gert), but this is (unfortunately) no more a CMSimple_XH website. Shall we change it to:

Template by <a href="http://www.cmsimple-xh.de">cmsimple-xh.de</a>
:?:

IMO that's not the best idea, as it might be very confusing for users. I would prefer something like:

Template by <a href="http://www.cmsimple-xh.de">Gert Ebersbach</a>
to clear up things a bit better.

I'm not happy with that either, as cmsimple-xh.de is redirecting to cmsimple.org, which easily can induce, that CMSimple_XH is now CMSimple 4, which is not the case. I'd rather make it clear to users (and visitors of a site), that CMSimple_XH and CMSimple 4 are two different forks of the classic CMSimple (both based on CMSimple_XH 1.5.3), and let them choose their preferred one (if at all). But how to? :?

Note, that the same issue is still in CMSimple_XH 1.5.6---otherwise I won't regard it a worthwhile issue to be discussed.

Christoph

svasti

Post by svasti » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 pm

cmb wrote:I'd rather make it clear to users (and visitors of a site), that CMSimple_XH and CMSimple 4 are two different forks
1+
I think a link to CMSimple_XH should now always go to cmsimple-xh.org and should be part of all included templates. As Gert is the designer of the old templates, a link to him may also be added to these templates.

cmsimple-xh.de and cmsimple-xh.com should no be used any more, as they are not leading to an XH-site.
So I guess in future there will be always 2 links in the templates of the download, one to cmsimple-xh.org and one to the template-designer.

svasti

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:16 pm

svasti wrote:As Gert is the designer of the old templates, a link to him may also be added to these templates.
A long time ago I suggested to change the powered by and the designer link to cmsimple-xh.com; you can read Gert's answer in the internal forum.

And now?