google / javascript spoiler question

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
flukey92

google / javascript spoiler question

Post by flukey92 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi all, this is a question not related to the infrastructure of cmsimple itself, but to how google picks up the content on your/my site.

Does anyone know if i have content hidden in spoilers whether it will still get picked up by google?

Im not using this to exploit the search algorythms, just so ya know! ;)

basically i need to list these part numbers on one of the pages of the cmsimple website.

Code: Select all

edited out the part numbers because google is showing this page above my webpage (http://www.rjselectronics.com/?Switches_By_Size:Small:PB613) haha
There are also easily another 1000 different combinations of this product series but i dont want to create an individual page for each and every product. so i was just gunna list them and then use a spoiler code so it only showed the 7 links which when you click open up more products.
hope this makes sense!
so the main question and purpose of this essay is..
if i do this will google use the content that is "hidden" in my "spoilers" to index that page? if u search the whole part number it will go to some website which sells the parts individually whereas we market the product series not each individual product and this is how we would like to keep it :)

Thanks for any replies in advance!

flukey
Last edited by flukey92 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJS Electronics Ltd - LED Push Switches, LCD Programmable Keys, Anti Vandal Push Buttons, Relays, Custom Cable Assemblies
Visit my Web Hosting / Design website here - www.flukedesigns.co.uk

flukey92

Re: google / javascript spoiler question

Post by flukey92 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:21 pm

oh the reason i dont want to just have all the parts listed is that it makes the page really long and unattractive, im just fussy!

http://www.rjselectronics.com/?Switches ... mall:PB613

that is the link to the first page that i have started listing :)

KR

flukey
RJS Electronics Ltd - LED Push Switches, LCD Programmable Keys, Anti Vandal Push Buttons, Relays, Custom Cable Assemblies

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:52 am

Hi Flukey,
flukey92 wrote:Does anyone know if i have content hidden in spoilers whether it will still get picked up by google?
It might be hard to say, how google handles this today, but even impossible to predict, how google will handle this tomorrow. ;) But as a rule of thumb: search engines should try to view a site as a human visitor would. So everything that can be accessed by the human through opening a spoiler, should be seen and indexed by a search engine too. Completely hidden text OTOH that can't be seen by humans (except by looking at the source code) shouldn't be index by the search engine (and might even lead to blocking the site, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hat_ ... sible_text).

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

flukey92

Post by flukey92 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks christoph :D

After some more efficient googling this morning i found that currently the spoiler content is indexed :) for now that is!

Thankyou for the reply though :)

i have another question which is cmsimple related though, so ill look first see if i can find the answer if not ill post it in the correct section of the boards :)

KR

flukey