Licence confusion ...

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
Gert

Re: Licence confusion ...

Post by Gert » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:18 pm

If you only use components, made for CMSimple_XH (recommended on the cmsimple-xh sites) your website should validate.

If you use other components (plugins, templates, addons) your website will work, but maybe not validate.
Last edited by Gert on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

vdonatiello

Post by vdonatiello » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Gert wrote:Hallo,

you can use all templates and plugins up to CMSimple_XH 1.1.3, but maybe, the validation fails: http://validator.w3.org/

From CMSimple_XH 1.2 on all files are utf-8 encoded, maybe you will have some encoding-problems with some plugins and templates, but I think in a few months all active plugin-developers will provide theirs plugins and templates utf-8 encoded.
hello, thanks for taking the time to answer ...

i would like to give a try at CMSimple-XH 1.2 ... how do i know if the template and plugin i found online are correctly encoded and will validate? i nee to try one by one or there is a trick?

V

Gert

Post by Gert » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Maybe the components are marked as XH or utf-8 (like my templates and plugins).

Otherwise ask the supplier / provider, help us to convince the template designers and plugin developers to mark theirs downloads or give more informations on theirs download-pages ;)

Please, nerve them :lol: - that way you can help us to lead CMSimple_XH to the modern future.

It should look like that: http://www.ge-webdesign.de/cmsimpleplug ... ter_mod_XH on a download page for CMSimple components.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:10 am

Validation is so over rated, I don't see why I have to reply to these questions each and every month..

As long as the site LOOKS and WORKS like it should, validation means nothing.

Don't take my word for it: let's check out some MAJOR internet website companies that also don't validate:::

YouTube.com : w3c validation link

Microsoft.com : w3c validation link

Yahoo.com : w3c validation link

Joomla.com : w3c validation link

I could find dozens of prominent worldwide sites that don't give much credence to validation

So, let's not TRASH anyone that chooses to make designs, that don't validate, as it seems it's NOT the main thing of importance, going by well know websites

Of course, if you have to have your websites validate, look for and only use those that do conform to 100% validation, it's a personal choice, for whatever your reasons ;)

cheers
mikey

Gert

Post by Gert » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:27 am

Hi Mikey,

I know your opinion and you know, that I don't agree. A website is more than it's output on a screen.
myself wrote:Please, nerve them :lol: - that way you can help us to lead CMSimple_XH to the modern future.
But in this case I mean the classification of plugins and templates.

Classification 1: H, X or XH - is it html, Xhtml or XH (dynamic generation of doctype and solo-tags like <br>, <hr> etc. dependent of the CMSimple settings, for example <br> or <br />)

Classification 2: ANSI-encoded or utf-8 encoded

CMSimple_XH development will be made in utf-8 in the future, so it is important for the template designers and plugin developers to provide theirs products utf-8 encoded, if they want to be up to date. Maybe it's also not important for YOU, but ask Tata, using slovak language ;)

During the interim period, I think it's the best way to provide both variants (ANSI and utf-8) and mark them corresponding the encoding.

Sometimes utf-8 encoding will be the standard, also for CMSimple_XH, worldwide it already is.

Tata

Post by Tata » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:06 pm

To be honest, I had very seldom have a problem with windows-1250 encoding. But building multi-language pages (especially with DE, PL, RU and some others) I had been facing problems, both in templates and also in content and plugins. Since here is CMSimple_XH and since I convert everything needed to UTF-8, the problems are gone. It is IMHO without doubts the universal way of making the pages troublefree.
Also, I had the same opinion - concerning the validation - like Mikey has. And I paid little attention to the template's and stylesheet's code. Since Gert taught me how to make an up-to-100%-validating template, I have experienced this beautiful feeling, when the validators show the green headdings saying :
This document was successfully checked as HTML 4.01 Transitional!.
and
Congratulations! No Error Found.
Or there are only a couple of warnings, which I know, things can't be made otherway, but they are not disturbing the code or functionality a lot.
Of course the visitor can see no difference. But my own feeling is something exciting. And it is really nothing difficult to make the code, which validate and has no hidden snippets that may be buggy in some future.
So I appreciate very much Gert's explanation, that a website shall not only look nice. It shall be nice also internally. I don't know if you know the term Potemkin's villages.
It is a term from old Russian periode (after-revolutional years of early 1900) Russian. There vere built huge villages which hade actually built only the beautiful frontvalls hidding all the misery, beggary, and hardship behind them. So the visitors vere just surprised of the beauty travelling trough the main streets (the only paved).
If I consider CMSimple_XH to a classical open source product, then this - as it is - shall be not only used by an user for his only website. It shall also allow the user to learn, how things work. And if he finds a code e.g. in templates or plugins, which is not standard conform, lacks som logic, discipline, basic "code-grammar and syntax", he may be confused and very probably won't understand the basics and also very probably won't use CMSimple anymore.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:33 am

at the end of the day

use my templates as you will, and do not whine about validation, as it will fall on deaf ears, it means nothing to me, AND the designers of multi million $$ websites