Video_XH

Third Party Plugins to CMSimple - how to install, use and create plugins

Moderator: Tata

cmb

Video_XH

Post by cmb » Tue May 01, 2012 12:56 am

Hello Community,

I've just released Video_XH 1beta1.

Video_XH facilitates presenting videos on a CMSimple site. It uses the HTML5 video element wherever possible, and provides a fallback to flash video. The supported video formats depend on the browser resp. the flash player.

Any feedback is welcome!

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

bca

Re: Video_XH

Post by bca » Sat May 19, 2012 10:37 am

Hi Christoph

Have been having a play with this plugin.
Couple of things:

How do you make the flash fallback work or test that it is working?

If you have two videos on the same page with the same name (it can happen) the div id name is the same for both videos. ie <div id="video_1"> which I believe isn't allowed.
If you give them different sizes it is OK as id=video_1 and id=a video_2 is created

b

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon May 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi B,
bca wrote:How do you make the flash fallback work or test that it is working?
This could be done by using a browser that doesn't support the HTML5 video element (e.g. testing on IE8), or by supplying only *.mp4 for a browser that doesn't recognize *.mp4 for the HTML5 video tag (e.g. Firefox). The underlying videojs player has an option "playerFallbackOrder", which might be used to force Flash to have the higher priority, so I could make this an additional config option. But I just read, that this might not work as expected on Firefox, so I'll have to do some tests first.
bca wrote:If you have two videos on the same page with the same name (it can happen) the div id name is the same for both videos.
This shouldn't happen, but indeed it does! And yes: each ID on a page has to be unique. I'm not exactly sure what's happening, but it seems to be caused by the evaluation of the plugin call (as a quick test with #CMSimple $output.=video('my_video'); $output.=video('my_video');# works as it should). As a quick workaround for now, just give the explicit width and height only for the second call (you can use the original width and height).

I'll have a look at these two issues, and report back ASAP.

Christoph

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue May 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Hello Community,

I've just released Video_XH 1beta2.

I've added the danish and czech translation (thanks to maeg and oldnema), and 2 config options: "prefer flash" and "preload". The former facilitates testing the flash fallback; the latter might be used to decrease the latency before the video starts to play.
bca wrote:If you have two videos on the same page with the same name (it can happen) the div id name is the same for both videos.
Indeed that's caused by the evaluation of the plugin call: identical plugin calls will only be evaluated once. I'm not absolutely sure, if this has to be regarded as bug or feature, but as it works in almost all cases, it's probably a feature (better performance). I've described IMO viable workarounds in the plugin's manual (http://3-magi.net/plugins/video/help/he ... imitations), as a clean solution would slow down the rendering of the page in the browser, even if there are no duplicates involved.

Any further feedback is welcome.

Christoph

bca

Post by bca » Thu May 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Um
Dont know why but i dont seem to be able to make it work now!!
I'll PM you a link
B

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Hello Community,

I've just released Video_XH 1beta3.

If you have trouble playing your videos with the plugin, feel free to contact me.

Christoph

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Hello Community,

I've just released Video_XH 1beta4.

I've fixed the bug reported by bca.

Besides I've added some more options for the video player (autoload, loop and controls) and changed the optional parameters of the video() call. As this might be a bit confusing, I've added a "call builder".

Any comments appreciated!

Christoph

bca

Post by bca » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi Christoph

Updated and seems to work well on my test site.
Tried with various encodes and all work OK.

I like the idea of more controls :D (see http://www.cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic. ... dia#p16099) :lol:

The call builder is a good idea. Maybe the input box should be bigger to see the whole call though and maybe a copy to clipboard?

b

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi B,
bca wrote:Updated and seems to work well on my test site.
Tried with various encodes and all work OK.
:D
bca wrote:I like the idea of more controls
Well, that's "not possible" with the underlying Video.js. It simply uses the controls offered by the browser's <video> element (and offers a similar experience for the flash video player). What you're looking for, could be done with jPlayer, which offers all controls as addtional HTML that can be styled by CSS (a few different Themes are readily available), what works for the flash player too. Adding this to Video_XH would probably be a lot more work, than integrating Video.js as CMSimple_XH plugin in the first place.
bca wrote:Maybe the input box should be bigger to see the whole call though and maybe a copy to clipboard?
I have limited the stylesheet to the minimum for now. Indeed, the input should be larger, but I'm still looking for a solution to have a table like layout (without using tables), where I can specify a fixed with for one column (e.g. 10em, 100px) and let the second column expand to the available space. Is that possible? (display:table-cell might work; never tried it)

Copying to the clipboard is somewhat problematic, as this is often forbidden by the browsers; there are some flash solutions available, but I'd rather avoid using flash to copy something to the clipboard. But I'll see, if I can improve this. For now I recommend: triple click into the "Plugin call" input and press CTRL-C (or similar for non Windows systems).

bca

Post by bca » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:26 pm

I like the idea of more controls
I meant the controls you have included. I appreciate others would turn the plugin into a fully fledged media player :lol:
I am really happy with Video_XH - seems to be a very easy to use plugin and works Ok with the new formats. (eventually!)

I could see the Call Builder was a "work in progress". Simple is the keyword :lol:

b