Error code: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

A place to report and discuss bugs - please mention CMSimple-version, server, platform and browser version
tanavots

Error code: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Post by tanavots » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:03 am

Edit 2:
As I suspected, it was F-Secure. After disabling it all worked again.

Edit:
I was able test this in other computer and all was fine. I suspect new antivirus program F-Secure Client Security Premium as it blocks some java script also. Try to disable it......

---------
I have page where is lot of numbered lists and links. After I add some additional text I get error "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" code during the saving. If I delete part of page it will save correctly.
Page looks like this
Text 1
1. list / link
2. list / link
3. list / link
Text 1
1. list / link
2. list / link
3. list / link
Text 1
1. list / link
2. list / link
3. list / link
so on ...

CMSimple XH 1.5.9
Tested with IE 10 and Chrome 29
Last edited by tanavots on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cmb

Re: Error code: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Post by cmb » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 pm

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE indicates that the server didn't properly respond to the browser. This is most likely being caused by connectivity problems. If so, the issue should not be strictly reproducible.

If it is strictly reproducible (i.e. happens always with the same text), you should inspect the HTTP traffic. For instance, immediately before saving the page, press F12 in Chrome and go to "Network". Than save the page, and inspect the first request (where Method is "POST") by clicking on it. Then see, if the "Form data" is truncated somehow.

Another thing to check is, if saving the page actually worked, and only the following redirect triggered by CMSimple_XH fails (in which case the new page should have made it to content.htm).
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

tanavots

Post by tanavots » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Sorry to say, but problem caused again by Ad Muncher. Looks like Ad Muncher and F-secure have conflict and some scripts were disabled. To avoid such problems in future I remove Ad Muncher. :cry:
Best

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:14 am

Hmm, isn't it possible to deactivate Ad Muncher for particular websites? Maybe it's a good idea to ask on http://forum.admuncher.com/, as this issue doesn't seem to be especially related to CMSimple(_XH).

tanavots

Post by tanavots » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:52 am

cmb wrote:Hmm, isn't it possible to deactivate Ad Muncher for particular websites? Maybe it's a good idea to ask on http://forum.admuncher.com/, as this issue doesn't seem to be especially related to CMSimple(_XH).
There is possible to exclude certain web pages, but issues still occur. Strange thing is that disabling either Ad Muncher or F-Secure did not have any effect to this issue. Only solution was to close Ad Muncher or kill F-Secure service. I contacted directly to developers. Lets see ...

tanavots

Post by tanavots » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:28 am

Got response from Ad Muncher
The second one is occurring because CMSimple XH doesn't properly support HTTP/1.0

v5.x of Ad Muncher will include HTTP/1.1 support so this should no longer be an issue then.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:51 pm

tanavots wrote:The second one is occurring because CMSimple XH doesn't properly support HTTP/1.0
Indeed. At least up until now I didn't consider this a problem, as HTTP/1.1 was defined in 1999 (RFC2616), and I presumed that all clients in use would support it nowadays.

In this case the problem is most likely being caused by sending a "303 See Other" response status code after saving from the editor. For HTTP/1.0 this should be a "302 Found". You may try it out by changing cmsimple/adm.php line 429ff (CMSimple_XH 1.5.9):

Code: Select all

header('Location: http'
            . (!empty($_SERVER['HTTPS']) && $_SERVER['HTTPS'] != 'off' ? 's' : '')
            . '://' . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] . preg_replace('/index.php$/', '', $sn)
            . "?" . $su, true, 302);
From what I can say, those 303 status codes are the only issue regarding HTTP/1.0, so we should consider to properly handle this.

cmb

Add support for HTTP/1.0

Post by cmb » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:49 pm

I have put this issue on the roadmap for XH 1.5 and XH 1.6.

Although it's not hard to support HTTP/1.0 in this regard, I somehow hesitate to suggest to do so in 2013. After all, preliminary versions of HTTP/1.1 have been already supported since Netscape 2.0 and IE 2.0, and "303 See Other" is the proper response for "modern" user agents (see http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5970).

tanavots

Post by tanavots » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:22 am

Not sure what happend, but all issues related with Ad Muncher and F-Secure conflict disappeared.
F-Secure claim, that they can't work together.
The latest version of F-Secure Internet Security 2014 can't work together with Ad Muncher due to conflicting issue.
In this case the only way to get fix the issue is one of the program need to be remove. Otherwise both program will not working properly on your computer.