css validation bug caused by sosf.php code

A place to report and discuss bugs - please mention CMSimple-version, server, platform and browser version
kweku

css validation bug caused by sosf.php code

Post by kweku » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:59 pm

hi
i have been trying to get my site to validate but while i went through the process of fixing each error in my template design i noticed that the sosf.php used to generate the horizontal drop down menu has generated multiple ID attributes when each ID attribute is supposed to be unique. this is what my template looks like http://insight-design-group.com/default/?News&id=6

i have spent a lot of time going through all the cmsimple resources to find the golden template that can display a drop down menu which validates perfectly but there does not seem to be any out there... :(

this is the link to produce the W3C errors : http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... or%2F1.606

the only errors which concern me are the ' ID "menulevel2" already defined .... ' type of errors, all the others i know how to fix but its the sosf.php code which is generating the problem?

im not really a coder so i would appreciate any help from those CMSimple masters out there :) if you email me i can send the template and additional files for closer inspection if needed.

Till

Re: css validation bug caused by sosf.php code

Post by Till » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:40 pm

First of all, you should update your CMSimple version from 2.4 - which is yours - to v.3.2.
Second, there are many examples using horizontal as well as vertical drop down menus - even in free templates. You can get them as javascript driven or CSS driven menus. A discussion about a CSS driven horizontal drop down menu can be seen at: http://www.cmsimple.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3188 in the old forum.

Till

kweku

Post by kweku » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:23 am

thank you.

just one question, how do i get the long sub-menu titles to wrap to a second line and not get cut off?

look at: http://insight-design-group.com/default ... Slideshows

-- the sub menu item under ' Galleries & Slideshows ' - called ' The Alternative to iFrames Article: ' - you can see the title gest cut off.

kweku

Post by kweku » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:59 am

sorry false false alarm, i have fixed the sub-menu width problem but if you look now, you will see that the 3rd level menu seems to have an overlapping issue against the 2nd level menu?

Till

Post by Till » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:43 am

kweku wrote:.......but if you look now, you will see that the 3rd level menu seems to have an overlapping issue against the 2nd level menu?
You mean they intermingle with the 2nd level buttons? Yes, this happens with IE7. That is the reason you have to use csshover.htc to correct it. Google for it and use the version V1.30. This works best. csshover.htc was originally made to make CSS driven menus workable also in IE6. But IE7 still needs it to correct intermingling. Other browser don't need csshover.htc.

Till

kweku

Post by kweku » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:55 am

im confused,

the template im using already uses the latest csshover.htc? perhaps ive missed something...

Till

Post by Till » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:51 am

kweku wrote:....the template im using already uses the latest csshover.htc...
Sorry, the latest version does not work. It has to be version 1.3. Please, tell me which template you are using. I will replace the file, if its the wrong version.

Till

kweku

Post by kweku » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:57 pm

strangely enough i cant seem to remember the exact forum post i found the link from and now im on a different pc but the template was called horizontal_menu2.zip
the version of csshover.htc appears as: V1.30.050121

Till

Post by Till » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:25 pm

kweku wrote:the version of csshover.htc appears as: V1.30.050121
Yes, thats the right version. Copy the csshover.htc into the root. Or change in the template.htm file :

body{behavior:url(csshover.htc);}

to:

body{behavior:url(<?php echo $pth['folder']['template'];?>csshover.htc);}

Now it should work for IE7 and IE6

Till

kweku

Post by kweku » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:11 pm

thanks for your help but unfortunately theres no change.

until this is resolved i have decided to position the 3rd level menu so that you cannot see any overlap.