Minor bug in default template XH 1.5.1

A place to report and discuss bugs - please mention CMSimple-version, server, platform and browser version
Gert

Re: Minor bug in default template XH 1.5.1

Post by Gert » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Holger wrote:Hmm, you'll stick on the not yet released html5, but don't want to introduce PHP5 (Released in July 2004).
Sometimes I can't follow... :roll:
It's very easy to understand :roll: :

If a website needs php5, it will not work on a php4 server, if a website has the html5 doctype - no problem, also not in IE6.

And if you hide the validation links, you will have some error messages or warnings, if you click the validation link in the backends view mode - not more. The most websites are not valid anyway, even under html 4.01 transitional doctype,

Gert
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Holger, hi Gert,
Gert wrote:If a website needs php5, it will not work on a php4 server
And even if it's possible to switch to PHP5, it might be a problem with other scripts, that don't work on PHP5, because of the totally different object semantics. So IMO we should stick to PHP4 for now.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi Gert,

I've just validated the cmsimplexh template.
validator.w3.org wrote:The name attribute is obsolete. Consider putting an id attribute on the nearest container instead.
<div id="top"><a name="TOP"></a></div>
Well, it's not an error, just a warning. But this might change for the final HTML5 specification.

In the template this could be fixed easily. But what's about anchors that are inserted with tinyMCE or CKeditor (and probably other editors as well)? Both editors insert them as <a name="...">. So perhaps CMSimple_XH is ready for HTML5, but tinyMCE and CKeditor not (or can this be configured?). Well, at least we have two editors that are able to produce perfectly valid HTML5: Textarea_XH and Codeeditor_XH. :lol:

And I've stumbled across http://rebuildingtheweb.com/en/html5-shortcomings/. Very interesting is the section about authoring tools (editors) for HTML5.

And frankly spoken: the only advantage of HTML5, I can see currently, is, that even I can learn the doctype by heart. ;) The <video> element is very nice, but the browser vendors weren't able to agree to at least one common video format (and I suppose, they won't in the future). HTML5 offers much more possibilities for semantic markup. But those are not yet implemented by the WYSIWYG editors. Well, some of this semantic markup could be used by the template designer (e.g. newsboxes could be marked by <aside> elements) and this might be better for SEO. But will they do so? The new variants of <input> are very nice, and they might make some additional JS unnecessary. But they are not widely implemented. And the <canvas> is very nice to get rid of the proprietary Flash/Silverlight etc. But not even basic support for this is implemented in IE before version 9.

Christoph

Gert

Post by Gert » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi Christoph,

at the moment it is not the goal, to use html5 features in the templates or contents, the only goal ist to make the templates "ready for html5" or "ready for the future".

Sometimes the html5 features will be implemented by browsers and editors, and then the user can retain his template and must not search for a new template. Ad I can sell licenses for my templates (made today) also in 5 years ;)

<!DOCTYPE html> is not the doctype for html5, in that case it were named <!DOCTYPE html5> ;) . It is the doctype for any kind of html in the future.

Code: Select all

<div id="top"><a name="TOP"></a></div> 
Easy to validate:

<div id="TOP">&nbsp;</div> 
So I have made it in my TemPlug_XH templates: http://www.ge-webdesign.de/templug/?Sho ... ls_treesXH

The validation link is right bottom,

Gert

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi Gert,

another possibility might be to add an option to TemPlug_XH, so the user can switch between the transitional doctypes and the html doctype. ;)

Christoph

Gert

Post by Gert » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:00 pm

cmb wrote:another possibility might be to add an option to TemPlug_XH, so the user can switch between the transitional doctypes and the html doctype. ;)
The most users does not know, what a Doctype Declaration is ... ;)

That is OUR responsibility,

Gert

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi Gert,

well, it seems you've made up your about the doctype. And it's the right of the template designer to choose the doctype he prefers.
Gert wrote:It is the doctype for any kind of html in the future.
Not too long ago perhaps many thought that the following doctype will be the future:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 2.0//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml2.dtd">
But suddenly the W3C decided to drop XHTML 2.0. Who knows, what the WHATWG will do tomorrow ...

BTW: perhaps this discussion should be moved to Open Development, as it has not much to do with the reported bug.

Christoph

Gert

Post by Gert » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Christoph,

nobody needs a specific xhtml markup language in the future, because you can write XML conform sourcecode under the html5 doctype, as you want,

Gert

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi Gert,

writing XML conforming documents for HTML5 requires the <?xml> "tag" and the appropriate namespace (http://dev.w3.org/html5/html4-differences/#syntax).

But that was not my point. I'm simply not sure, that the current HTML5 will ever be standardized. And I'm quite sure, that it will not happen in the next few years, as
w3.org wrote:The HTML5 specification will not be considered finished before there are at least two complete implementations of the specification.
And AFAIK not even one implementation is nearly complete.

Christoph