Default settings word separator & separator

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
svasti

Default settings word separator & separator

Post by svasti » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 am

Hi all,

I suggest to change our default settings in the full download:
word separator to "-"
separator to "/"

svasti

cmb

Re: Default settings word separator & separator

Post by cmb » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:02 pm

svasti wrote:I suggest to change our default settings in the full download:
word separator to "-"
separator to "/"
IMO these are the only reasonable values for these settings, so: + 1

However, I'm somewhat concerned with regard to backwards compatibility. A user upgrading to a version where the defaults have changed might not even notice this, but it would break existing links (e.g. from search engines) and bookmarks. And even if he would notice this change (by reading the upgrade instructions), what should he do: simply change the settings back? While this would certainly be an option, I'd prefer to get rid of these configuration options in the long run completely, and the sooner a user switches to the preferred settings the better.

So to me it seems sensible to offer a way that deals with the changed URLs. Maybe Moved_XH with some (semi)automatic handling for the changed settings might already be sufficient. :?
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Post by svasti » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:12 pm

Interesting points. I just thought about new installations, not upgrades.
cmb wrote:I'd prefer to get rid of these configuration options in the long run completely, and the sooner a user switches to the preferred settings the better.
We could have the new settings always and keep the old variables as hidden variables to redirect links like ?mypages:my_best_page -> ?mypages/my-best-page

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:37 am

svasti wrote:We could have the new settings always and keep the old variables as hidden variables to redirect links like ?mypages:my_best_page -> ?mypages/my-best-page
It appears to me that there are some edge cases where such automatic conversion won't necessarily work. For instance, ?Welcome_to_CMSimple_XH -- should that be redirected to ?Welcome-to-CMSimple-XH or ?Welcome-to-CMSimple_XH?

svasti

Post by svasti » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:43 pm

Maybe a new plugin update_XH would be useful. Every update could include some information for this plugin and the plugin could present a dialog to the webmaster. Something like: recommanded separators are '-' and '/', your present setting is '_' and ':'. Click to change my settings (in config and content) and create redirections for external deep pagelinks to my site.
With such a dialog also new language variables could be handed down.
Such a plugin could even handle plugin updates.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:10 am

svasti wrote:Maybe a new plugin update_XH would be useful. Every update could include some information for this plugin and the plugin could present a dialog to the webmaster. Something like: recommanded separators are '-' and '/', your present setting is '_' and ':'. Click to change my settings (in config and content) and create redirections for external deep pagelinks to my site.
With such a dialog also new language variables could be handed down.
ACK
svasti wrote:Such a plugin could even handle plugin updates.
I'm still not convinced that an online update of full plugins is a good idea, but attempting this with a plugin is certainly very problematic. Consider a timeout during the update: the plugin to update (updatee) could be in an instable state (due to a mix of old and new files), and it might not be possible to continue, if the updatee is loaded before the updater plugin.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:44 pm

Done (r1452).