let's add 404 etc pages to the standard dowmload

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
svasti

let's add 404 etc pages to the standard dowmload

Post by svasti » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 am

Hi developers,
what about adding these pages to our next version. It would mean adding some language strings.
Anyhow would be nice to have friendly 404, forbidden, etc pages

svasti

Tata

Re: let's add 404 etc pages to the standard dowmload

Post by Tata » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 am

+1
Maybe even derived from a template.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

cmb

Re: let's add 404 etc pages to the standard dowmload

Post by cmb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:56 am

svasti wrote:what about adding these pages to our next version. It would mean adding some language strings.
Anyhow would be nice to have friendly 404, forbidden, etc pages
The core of CMSimple_XH currently only uses the 404 response status (besides, of course, 200)[1], and there is already a extremly flexible hook to catch this. Of course, we could add a language string that will be shown below the Heading "Error 404: Not found" (if no hook is defined).

I'm not sure which other error codes could deserve special pages/language strings. A few might be interesting for some plugins, but these plugins could handle it for themselves.

Catching errors outside of CMSimple_XH (i.e. thrown by the web server), is not generally possible. I'm not sure, if we should introduce a global .htaccess for that purpose.
Tata wrote:Maybe even derived from a template.
404 error pages can already be designed as a CMSimple_XH page.

[1] function shead() in cmsimple/functions.php additionally handles 401 and 403, but those are not used anymore by the core, because that makes it slightly harder for bots trying to get admin access by brute force.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH