Adding an explanatory line under the logfile

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
svasti

Adding an explanatory line under the logfile

Post by svasti » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Just a little idea to make the logfile a little more understandable:

adminfuncs.php line 281 new:

Code: Select all

. '/* ]]> */</script>'
        . '<p>' . $tx['label']['loglegend'] . '</p>';
and en.php line 130 new:

Code: Select all

$tx['label']['loglegend']="(timestamp – type – module – category – description)";
This means, under the log file will appear the line:
(timestamp – type – module – category – description)

I also tried out putting this line directly under the headline "logfile" and on top of the log file --- but I liked it better under the log file, as it is more inconspicuous there and it is just under the last log entry which you are trying to understand.

svasti

cmb

Re: Adding an explanatory line under the logfile

Post by cmb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Sounds reasonable. We might consider introducing separate language strings for the fields, which could be used as headings if we're changing the textarea to a table later. (OTOH we might as well split the suggested string at the delimiters, then.)

Anyway, I've put it on the 1.6.1 roadmap, but I think it should go to 1.6.2.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

manu

Post by manu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:30 am

Could anybody recall the benefits we have now with a logfile displayed inside the template and not put out as plain text file as it was in the past?
Right now:
- in a narrow template, the log file is barely readable, but it gets more important since AdvancedForm logs its transmissions in the log file.
- "select all / CTL+A (and copy/paste the contend into a readable format) fails, because the desired data is somehow inside a positioned element and not inside a textarea.

Since we dropped the idea to edit the logfile we might consider the idea to return to a readable format, either plain text as before or put the log data inside a textarea element (or something like the codebox here in the forum).
I know, this is not exactly the topic of the discussion, but IMHO the discussion leads a bit in the wrong direction.
Any opinions about this?
regards
manu

svasti

Post by svasti » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:23 am

manu wrote:Could anybody recall the benefits we have now with a logfile displayed inside the template
  • Display goes right away the end of the file, where usually the most interesting entries are.
  • It's easy to maneuver back within the site
manu wrote:in a narrow template, the log file is barely readable
+1
manu wrote:select all / CTL+A (and copy/paste the contend into a readable format) fails
too bad.

We may reconsider handling the logfile.

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:17 pm

svasti wrote:
manu wrote:Could anybody recall the benefits we have now with a logfile displayed inside the template
  • Display goes right away the end of the file, where usually the most interesting entries are.
  • It's easy to maneuver back within the site
Particularly the latter point is the most striking, IMO.
svasti wrote:
manu wrote:in a narrow template, the log file is barely readable
+1
IMO, the log file is badly readable per se. Consider you are interested in entries regarding the mailform. Neither a textarea or a new window will make it easy to get an overview. Of course one could copy the contents and paste them to Excel, but that seems to be rather cumbersome. I've already made some suggestions for improvement, and I see no reason why this can't be offered as a plugin (for now).
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH