SCRIPT_NAME vs. REQUEST_URI

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

SCRIPT_NAME vs. REQUEST_URI

Post by cmb » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:30 pm

Hello Community,

inspired by mmvector's support request, I had a closer look why space characters in the path of the CMSimple(_XH) installation folder might prohibit successful login. This is finally caused by using SCRIPT_NAME resp. REQUEST_URI to construct $sn (which is used to construct CMSIMPLE_ROOT, which is used as cookie path). The crucial difference is that SCRIPT_NAME contains the file path as is, but REQUEST_URI is URL encoded. This makes no difference as long as only unreserved characters are used in the folder path, but otherwise the two values may differ.

This might lead to unexpected quirks regarding $sn in CMSimple_XH, because $sn is conditionally defined:

Code: Select all

$sn = preg_replace(
    '/([^\?]*)\?.*/', '$1',
    sv(($iis ? 'SCRIPT_NAME' : 'REQUEST_URI'))
); 
The cleanest solution would be to urldecode() REQUEST_URI, but this might give trouble with many existing plugins, because $sn is commonly used for building links. So it might be better to urlencode() SCRIPT_NAME (actually, each path component had to be urlencode()'d separately).

However, as an even simpler and rather pragmatic solution I suggest that we clearly document which characters are allowed in the path of the CMSimple_XH installation folder, and leave the code as is.

Any comments?

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Re: SCRIPT_NAME vs. REQUEST_URI

Post by svasti » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:23 pm

cmb wrote:rather pragmatic solution I suggest that we clearly document
everywhere & everything: +1