Dropping PHP 4 support for next version

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

Dropping PHP 4 support for next version

Post by cmb » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:25 pm

Hello Community,

I propose that we drop support for PHP 4 in the next version (1.7/2.0). The main reason are several features that are missing from PHP 4 which have been introduced in PHP 5 resp. 5.1, which would simplify the further development (just to name a few: objects with reference semantics, real encapsulation of objects, exceptions, autoloading of classes, the SPL and several functions). Furthermore testing under PHP 4 rarely happens, and we do rely on PHP_CI, if at all. And last but not least, PHP 4 is really very old; the support by the PHP developers has been ceased on 2008-08-07 -- more than 5 years ago! Since then a lot of vulnerabilities have been detected, which will never be fixed. PHP 5.0.0, on the other hand, was released on 2004-07-13 (9 1/2 years ago!) -- plenty of time for everybody to upgrade. And finally, we must not forget that XH 1.6 will have to be supported for 2-3 years (at least that was the timespan for the latest minor versions), and in the meantime PHP 6 might be released, which surely will bring some major backward incompatibilites, especially when it comes to PHP 4, so it seems prudent to already prepare for this.

I'm aware that PHP 4 still is in use (according to w3techs 2.4% of the sites using PHP use PHP 4), and that this percentage is most likely larger for CMSimple_XH sites (after all CMSimple is one of the few, if not the only, content management systems that are still maintained and work with PHP 4). However, that doesn't supersede the arguments given above.

As dropping PHP 4 support would be a major step for CMSimple_XH, I suggest that we will call the next version 2.0.

BTW: the latest plugins I have released already require PHP 5, the exceptions being Pagemanager_XH (which is part of the base distribution and as such should stick with the requirements of the core) and Keymaster_XH (which is equally important for many installations where a site has several admins).

Christoph

PS: Oh, I forgot: if we're going to drop support for PHP 4, we may consider to raise the requirements to PHP 5.1 or even 5.2. According to w3techs.com the usage of PHP 5.0 is close to zero and PHP 5.1 isn't in widespread use either.

PPS: There is currently a discussion in the PHP-FIG mailing list about starting a Go-PHP 5.5 initiative -- we shouldn't fall too far behind.
Last edited by cmb on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added PS and PPS
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

manu

Re: Dropping PHP 4 support for next version

Post by manu » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Its true Christoph, let's reopen the discussion and let bury PHP 4 support. PHP 5 up to date, maintained, safe, has cleaner methods to develop, etc. We should choose at least PHP 5.2. My provider sets php5.4 as standard and abandons 5.3 at end of June. IMHO we should set it on the roadmap for 1.7.
Regards
manu

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:45 pm

manu wrote:IMHO we should set it on the roadmap for 1.7.
I've done so.

However, it would be good for users, if we will schedule the end-of-life of support of older PHP versions. After all, long-time users still running PHP 4 should be given some to upgrade.

And we may consider echoing a warning in the administration area about older PHP versions. For instance, the system check might show a warning icon (though, not a fail).

manu

Post by manu » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:27 pm

cmb wrote:
I've done so.

However, it would be good for users, if we will schedule the end-of-life of support of older PHP versions. After all, long-time users still running PHP 4 should be given some to upgrade.
Probably the roadmap might be a place to announce it. After that the system requirements for the version to be installed should be php5.x at least.
cmb wrote:And we may consider echoing a warning in the administration area about older PHP versions. For instance, the system check might show a warning icon (though, not a fail).
To get the benefit of this, people have to update first. Users don't like doing updates, especially those running software based on php4.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:00 pm

manu wrote:
cmb wrote:
I've done so.

Probably the roadmap might be a place to announce it. After that the system requirements for the version to be installed should be php5.x at least.
I'm not so much concerned where to announce it, but rather that we should announce it pretty soon. It seems sensible to vote about it ASAP; I'd prefer opening the voting for this single item today.
manu wrote:
cmb wrote:And we may consider echoing a warning in the administration area about older PHP versions. For instance, the system check might show a warning icon (though, not a fail).
To get the benefit of this, people have to update first. Users don't like doing updates, especially those running software based on php4.
Good point. Considering the amount of CMSimple 3.2 websites still around, most likely only a minority of users will even care. Nonetheless, those who care should be given some time to adjust.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun May 11, 2014 3:15 pm

bump

manu

Post by manu » Tue May 13, 2014 1:39 pm

The webhosts I know set PHP 5.4 as standard by end of March and will shut down PHP 5.3 by end of June.
Therefore a reaction time of 3 months should be enough.

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue May 13, 2014 10:35 pm

manu wrote:The webhosts I know set PHP 5.4 as standard by end of March and will shut down PHP 5.3 by end of June.
Therefore a reaction time of 3 months should be enough.
These are fine hosters. :) But there may be others--we have to consider the situation not only for central Europe, but for the rest of the world also, see e.g. http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmsimpl ... 2014-05-13. And we should consider existing contracts with hosters not providing the required PHP version.

All in all it occurs to me that we should set forth a timeline for the next releases at least, if we can't find an agreement about a general release cycle for now. IMHO it's bad for users as well as developers to know about future developments only a few months in advance (and not everybody can afford to keep an eye on our announcements weekly).

The basic question for now is: when will we release a version that requires PHP 5.x, and how long will we support (with bug fixes and security patches) 1.6 after this new version has been released? We have to consider if this new version will allow for an easy update (at least when the required PHP version is already available), or if it requires a migration (such as from 1.5.x to 1.6). Shall we even consider new features and feature improvements for 1.6.3, or shall we move them to 1.7?

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:25 pm

JFTR: the PHP documentation team is currently discussing to separate the PHP 4 documentation. Yet another good reason to drop PHP 4 support.

svasti

Post by svasti » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Couldn't find it in the roadmap... where do we announce it? or has it been announced already?

So starting with 1.7 CMSimple_XH requires at least PHP 5.2 .... correct? Support for 1.6.x will continue till end of 2015?