What kind of zip is used in 1.6?

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
svasti

What kind of zip is used in 1.6?

Post by svasti » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Are there differnt types of zip files?
Usually in Win XP (sorry, not XH), I click on a zip file, which opens in a new window and i can move the files right away into a other normal folder, where they unpack automatically leaving the zip unchanged.
But this is not possible any more with the new kind of zip file of 1.6. Direct moving from the zip into another folder results in Windows complaining "can't find file xy".

Has anybody also this problem?

svasti

cmb

Re: What kind of zip is used in 1.6?

Post by cmb » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:08 pm

svasti wrote:Are there differnt types of zip files?
Well, there is no official standard for ZIP files (yet), and the de-facto standard from PKWARE offers lots of variations (e.g. uncompressed files in a ZIP archive). Cf. Wikipedia.

The "zipper" currently used for the CMSimple_XH distribution is Phing's ZipTask (I don't know which underlying library it is using -- one might have to look at the sources[1]).
svasti wrote:But this is not possible any more with the new kind of zip file of 1.6. Direct moving from the zip into another folder results in Windows complaining "can't find file xy".
This works fine for me under Windows 7 and XP. However, looking in the ZIP with XP's built-in zipper shows an additional empty file for each folder! (Everything looks fine in 7zip, though.) After unzipping the complete archive everything is okay.

Do you have the same problems with the 1.6beta1 and 1.6rc1 ZIPs?

PS: JFTR: Phing's ZipTask is using PHP's ZipArchive class.
Last edited by cmb on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added PS
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Post by svasti » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:51 am

cmb wrote:The "zipper" currently used for the CMSimple_XH distribution is Phing's ZipTask
Is the build-in Window zipper that bad?
cmb wrote:However, looking in the ZIP with XP's built-in zipper shows an additional empty file for each folder!
Yes, single files are ok, but folders don't work.
cmb wrote:(Everything looks fine in 7zip, though.)
Used to have this on stone age Windows. Since Win XP came with an unzipper, I never missed it ... until now.
cmb wrote:After unzipping the complete archive everything is okay.
Yes, but zips are more practical, as you cannot accidentally delete a file in it.

My simple solution is now:
Unzipping, renaming to CMSimple_XH_1-6 (XP cannot zip a folder with a dot in it!), rezipping it with Win XP.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:02 pm

svasti wrote:
cmb wrote:The "zipper" currently used for the CMSimple_XH distribution is Phing's ZipTask
Is the build-in Window zipper that bad?
The reason for using Phing's ZipTask is that it can be automated and is supposed to work on multiple platforms. The platform independency was the main reason for me to suggest to use Phing instead of make.
svasti wrote:
cmb wrote:However, looking in the ZIP with XP's built-in zipper shows an additional empty file for each folder!
Yes, single files are ok, but folders don't work.
Well, what I meant is that for every folder in the archive, there is shown an empty file with the same name. That probably explains the error message "can't find file xy" when trying to extract a folder.

Anyway, I have rezipped the CMSimple_XH 1.6 distribution and uploaded it to SourceForge. Can you please confirm whether it's working now?

svasti

Post by svasti » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:25 pm

cmb wrote:Anyway, I have rezipped the CMSimple_XH 1.6 distribution and uploaded it to SourceForge. Can you please confirm whether it's working now?
It works wonderful now.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:04 pm

svasti wrote:It works wonderful now.
Fine.

I guess we have to keep using another zipper for now, because PHP's implementation of ZipArchive seems to have a bug. (I'm very surprised that apparently this has not yet been detected.) I have filed a respective report.

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:06 pm

cmb wrote:I guess we have to keep using another zipper for now, because PHP's implementation of ZipArchive seems to have a bug. (I'm very surprised that apparently this has not yet been detected.) I have filed a respective report.
After some more investigation I found that PHP will create conforming zip archives in 5.6.0 (maybe that will be backported). However, that won't solve the issues with Windows XP's built-in zipper which is not fully conforming to the specification. As XP will reach it's end-of-life in 3 months we should support it until then, and may switch to Phing's ZipTask afterwards. Can anybody check if the ZIP files work on Vista?

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:31 pm

cmb wrote:Can anybody check if the ZIP files work on Vista?
No problems for me with Vista :) .

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Holger wrote:No problems for me with Vista :).
Fine, thanks. :)