XH 1.6: Switching to view mode after saving

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

XH 1.6: Switching to view mode after saving

Post by cmb » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Hello Community,

it is often annoying to have to manually switch to view mode after saving a page from the editor. This could easily be changed (adminfuncs.php, line 584):

Code: Select all

header("Location: " . CMSIMPLE_URL . "?" . $su . '&normal', true, 303);
However, I'm not sure if that's the best solution for everyone--some users might prefer to edit a page in several steps saving the intermediate steps and directly continue editing.

What do you think?

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

oldnema

Re: XH 1.6: Switching to view mode after saving

Post by oldnema » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:44 pm

It would not be for new users "beginners" confusing?
Josef
Nobody knows how much time he has left ...
http://oldnema.compsys.cz/en/?Demo_templates

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:12 pm

Somehow does this not work.
After having this ,lets call it patch, applied to adminfuncs xh 1.6 should after saving switch to preview (vorschau) mode.

But - system stays in edit mode......

A misunderstanding?

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Ulrich wrote:A misunderstanding?
Yes, most likely. The line number given above refers to the latest development version (r1009). I just looked that up in XH 1.6beta1, and unfortunately, there's a very similar code line, which belongs to the restore functionality.

For CMSimple_XH 1.6beta1, the change has to be made in line 510 (near the end of function XH_saveEditorContents()).

Tata

Post by Tata » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:33 pm

cmb wrote:However, I'm not sure if that's the best solution for everyone--some users might prefer to edit a page in several steps saving the intermediate steps and directly continue editing.
It is my definitive suggestion to everyone to save the work frequently. Very often happens (especially with Windows) that a system get frozen or crashes. So saving is crucial. It seems to me less hurting switching Edit/Preview if necessary than switch back to edit after each saving. I sometime don't switch to Preview before I finish any editting.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:11 pm

I like it as it is. IMHO the mode should only change if the user request it.

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:26 pm

ok.after changing the behaviour accordingly (in the correct version) I played a little around and I have to say - I don't like that feature.

Just leave it as it is. Pressing the save symbol will save the current work but will not switch from edit to view mode.

This might be a handy feature if it is a real complicated layout, a lot of text with embedded graphics and maybe embedded videos etc. But for 'normal' operation the behaviour should stay as it is.

For those who really need constant switching between edit and view mode (see above) this Patch line could be included in the source but commented. so who thinks he needs it, can uncomment it and comment the normal version.

I don't even think this option should have some kind of switch or selector in the admin backend. Users who know about this should be able to activate it, and those who don't know about it will not care at all.

So - just leave it as it is .......

But thats only my opinion - any more comments?

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Ulrich wrote:But thats only my opinion - any more comments?
Well, actually three others already expressed the same opionion, so I think it's best to stick with the classic behavior. :)
Ulrich wrote:For those who really need constant switching between edit and view mode (see above) this Patch line could be included in the source but commented. so who thinks he needs it, can uncomment it and comment the normal version.
For me it would be sufficient to put it in the Tips & Tricks section in the XH Wiki.

svasti

Post by svasti » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Hm I think I' rather have two buttons, the normal save button and a save+preview button (this could be specially activated in the online editors inits)

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:12 pm

svasti wrote:Hm I think I' rather have two buttons, the normal save button and a save+preview button (this could be specially activated in the online editors inits)
Rather than keeping the present behavior, or rather than switching to view mode on saving?

Anyhow, that would require a plugin to written for each supporting editor, plus the necessary changes in init.js, plus respective changes in the core.