XH 1.6: 2lang installation

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
Tata

Re: CMSimple_XH 1.6 BETA

Post by Tata » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 pm

cmb wrote:I'm not sure if the possibility to create a second language from the back-end is the best option. One one hand this could easily fail due to file system permissions; usually I wouldn't set the root folder writable, so creating root/de/ will fail. On the other hand it might obscure where the files are actually stored, and it won't help when upgrading from an earlier CMSimple(_XH) version.
That's right. It was a problem in old times of CMSimple 2.4 and some plugins.
My question is, if there is any reason to have the 2lang folder in root. Can't it be simply located only under root/content and/or created there or in userfiles? So ther wouldn't be a problem creating it in back end. RIght? If so, then creating 2lan folders and htaccess, 2lan and content.htm would be possible.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Tata wrote:My question is, if there is any reason to have the 2lang folder in root.
Unfortunately, yes. It is the way the second language site is accessed: http://example.com/de/. This URL is pointing to a folder de/ directly in the domain root. It would be possible to rewrite this URL to call another script, but that would require all users to be able to use (and configure) some URL rewriting component (e.g. mod_rewrite for Apache), what would limit the environments where CMSimple_XH can be used to build a multilingual site.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:32 pm

cmb wrote:So let's assume the user has copied and renamed 2lang/ as usual. In the back-end he is presented a single empty page ("New Page") and a warning that the content file is missing. Nevertheless he is able to edit this page and save it (the folder and the content.htm will be created). If that doesn't work due to permissions, he gets the warning:
Nicht schreibbar Content-Datei
../content/de/content.htm
IMO far from perfect, but not too bad either. At least the user sees the file path to the expected content.htm and is able to create it himself.
That's what I had in mind when I said "IMO the best should be a semi-automatic solution".
I think, that's not so far from perfect. It's as easy as it was before.

BTW: made a quick check and it seems to work :) .

We should consider to include that changes or to put it for voting on the roadmap.

Holger

cmb

Re: XH 1.6: 2lang installation

Post by cmb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Holger wrote:We should consider to include that changes or to put it for voting on the roadmap.
I've put it on the roadmap, mainly to not forget about it. If we vote on it, everybody should state clearly which solution he prefers (if not already done).
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH