jQuery 1.9

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

jQuery 1.9

Post by cmb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:46 pm

Hello Community,

jQuery 1.9 brings quite some incompatibilities (many of them related to removing deprecated features). There is an official jQuery Migrate plugin, which should keep incompatibility as low as possible, but:
http://jquery.com/upgrade-guide/1.9/#jquery-migrate-plugin wrote:Individual descriptions below indicate if the behavior changed in 1.9 can be restored by using the jQuery Migrate plugin.
We have to decide how to handle this for 1.4.5 and 1.5.7. We could stick with jQuery 1.8.3 or we can switch to jQuery 1.9.x plus the migrate plugin. In the former case I expect incompatibilites with new browser versions, in the latter I expect problems with older jQuery plugins and scripts. I guess we have to choose the lesser evil here.

In the mid-term we probably have to switch to jQuery 1.9.x (2.0 seems to be no option for quite a while, as support for IE <=8 is dropped there), which is quite likely the version that we shall include in XH 1.6. So I suggest we start testing all jQuery related stuff (CMSimple plugins and templates).

I don't think it's a good idea to have two versions of jQuery4CMSimple in parallel; this would mean double testing for all plugin developers and template designers. But it may be a good idea to release an jQuery4CMSimple with jQuery 1.9 only for testing purposes.

Christoph

PS: Jerry reported that all his plugins work fine under jQuery 1.9.1 + Migrate plugin.
Last edited by cmb on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added PS
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

cmb

Re: jQuery 1.9

Post by cmb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Hello Community,

I've just noticed, that jQueryUI 1.10.x drops support for IE6. That's absolutely no problem, when jQueryUI is used in the back-end (back-end support for IE 6 was dropped with CMSimple_XH 1.5), but it might well be, if it's used in the front-end.

So we have to decide, if we will stick with jQueryUI 1.9.x for now, or if we switch to 1.10.x.

I just tested Advancedform_XH's datepicker under jQueryUI 1.10.1, and indeed it doesn't look good on IE 6, but it seems fully functional. So no problem here, as I consider it acceptable, if a website is usable with IE 6--it doesn't have to look good necessarily. Unfortunately Tetris_XH isn't working on IE 6 with jQueryUI 1.10.x at all, but that isn't a show stopper either (I have to rewrite Tetris_XH anyway).

Christoph

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:41 pm

I have now quickly tested all my plugins that use jQuery4CMSimple. All run fine with jQuery 1.9.1 + Migrate 1.1.1. :) The following plugins currently require the Migrate plugin:
  • Advancedform_XH
  • Forum_XH
  • Socialshareprivacy_XH
Fixing these plugins to run without Migrate plugin shouldn't be a big deal.

Pagemanager_XH and Roundabout_XH currently don't require the Migrate plugin, but a deprecation warning is reported; I'll see if I'm able to fix the underlying JS libraries as I don't expect further updates (particularly regarding jQuery carousel, because its domain is now for sale :().

I have not yet checked Ajaxfilemanager_XH and Uploader_XH, which have their own jQuery libraries anyway, and so are not affected by jQuery4CMSimple.

PS: I had forgotten to check Adventcalendar_XH. Currently it requires the migrate plugin, but that should be fixed with updating to a recent version of ColorBox.
Last edited by cmb on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added PS

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 pm

I've made an update of jQuery4CMSimple with jQuery 1.9.1, jQueryUI 1.10.2 together with Migrate 1.1.1.
It's thought to make testing easier for developers but not to use on live-sites!

Download: http://cmsimple.holgerirmler.de?&downlo ... XH-1.4.zip

Holger

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Regarding the migrate plugin: developers may enable the logging by simply setting $plugin_cf['jquery']['file_migrate']="jquery-migrate-1.1.1.js"; This will show any warnings about potential incompatibilities in the debugging console of the browser. To check the actual behavior without the migrate plugin, you may leave this config option blank.

ISTM that the migrate plugin will resolve nearly all incompatibilities, so I suggest we use jQuery 1.9.x for XH 1.5.7 with the migrate plugin enabled by default. For XH 1.6 we may consider to deactivate the migrate plugin by default.

@ plugin developers and template designers, who use jQuery: please test your work with jQuery4CMSimple_XH 1.4, and report the results back. TIA.
Last edited by cmb on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typo

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:32 pm

I have quickly checked the following plugins requiring jQuery for compatibility with jQuery 1.9:
  • Bookstore_XH 1.2
    requires the jQuery Migrate Plugin (can probably be fixed by updating to maskedinput 1.3.1)
  • ExLink_XH 1.0
    works fine
  • jCloud_XH 1.0
    works fine
  • NoMistakes_XH 1.0.beta1
    works fine
  • TG_Popup 1.4
    works fine
  • Pictures
    the lightbox and prettyphoto require the jQuery Migrate Plugin; the rest seems to work even without it
  • News
    works fine
Last edited by cmb on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added further plugins (at the end of the list)