XH 1.6: Meta_tags: Description as Textarea

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

XH 1.6: Meta_tags: Description as Textarea

Post by cmb » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Hello Community,

I suggest to change the input for the meta description to a textarea. We might consider to make the keywords entry a textarea too.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Tata

Re: XH 1.6: Meta_tags: Description as Textarea

Post by Tata » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:35 pm

+1

Another thing I think about is a special stylesheet for all Configurations - regardless if core or plugins. Sometime - especially on pages with narrow content area - it is disturbing to scroll or resize fields. How about to make a config_stylesheet independent from the website template?
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi Tata,
Tata wrote:How about to make a config_stylesheet independent from the website template?
I don't like the idea of having separate templates for front-end and back-end. Many (most?) other CMSs do it this way, but IMO that's likely to confuse the user, particularly for a simple CMS.

But what about a "full-screen mode" for the content area in the config forms (similar to how it's done for the editors or hi_kcfinder)? That shouldn't be too hard to accomplish and would allow the user to dynamically switch the view, if he likes to.

Christoph

Gert

Post by Gert » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:01 am

Hi Tata,

in the next version of CMSimple 4.0 a special template will be called in case of:

- edit CMS config
- edit CMS language
- edit plugin config
- edit plugin language

This special template has a wide content area (650px), so editing is more comfortable.

Thanks for the idea ;)

Gert
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

snafu

Post by snafu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:24 am

hi all
cmb wrote:
Tata wrote:How about to make a config_stylesheet independent from the website template?
I don't like the idea of having separate templates for front-end and back-end. Many (most?) other CMSs do it this way, but IMO that's likely to confuse the user, particularly for a simple CMS.
users need a usabel backend! the usability has nothing to do with "look like frontend" or "look like my own". users are not confused (for example) about the wordpress dashborad, because it don´t look like the website (but about some unlogical positions of parts of settings)
look at your successful opponents :mrgreen:
Gert wrote: This special template has a wide content area (650px), so editing is more comfortable.
a good step forward ;)
lg.
winni

Durch einen Sucher betrachtet wird alles zu einem Motiv.
meine Galerie; mein Blog, mein CMSimple Template Tutorial

Gert

Post by Gert » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Hello,

CMSimple 4.0.2 is published ;)

There is a painless update available, you can use it for update 4.0 => 4.0.2 and 4.0.1 => 4.0.2, and for an update of CMSimpleCoAuthors and CMSimpleRealBlog:

Download: http://www.cmsimple.org/en/?Downloads:CMSimple

Most important News:
  • Backend template with wide content area, for editing CMS config, CMS language, plugin config and plugin language
  • New Editor Toolbar "narrow" for narrow content areas
  • Improved core stylesheet for editing configurations and languages
  • Input field for password is now "type password"
Gert

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi,
snafu wrote:users need a usabel backend!
ACK

But will a special template for the config and language settings really improve the overall usability? How often does one call these pages compared to other tasks in the back-end; I'd say far less than 10%. And increasing the contents area to a width of 650px will not really solve the problem that the config and language forms leave to less space for the inputs. Currently the contents area of the "cmsimplexh" template has a width of 602 px, and I'm aware of templates with an even broader contents area than 650px! On my website the contents area is only 510px wide; I actually never had problems with the config forms; but often I have problems with the small editor (so I press <ESC>) and with several plugin's main administration screens, which won't be solved by having only special templates for config and languages.

A more general solution would be to use a special admin template, as Tata suggested in another thread. This solution is available since a long time: MLDAdmin_XH. I've made a quick test, and it seems to work reasonably well under CMSimple_XH 155. I have uploaded it to the CMSimple Wiki. You might download it and see, if you like it.

Please note that plugins like Also and Coco_XH are probably not usable with such admin template.

Christoph

Gert

Post by Gert » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Hello,

my answer is written here:

English

Deutsch

Gert

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi,
Gert wrote:my answer is written here
Recognized, though not acknowledged. If you like I can elaborate on your answer.

Just to clarify: MLDAdmin_XH is neither my answer to the problem of the narrow config and languages forms, nor to the "problem" of having a single template for front- as well as back-end. IMO the latter is one of strengths of CMSimple [1]; the former could easily be solved by changing the forms to use floating divs with min-widths for the "cells" instead of a table (so long option names will be displayed above the according input for small displays). And AISB there's the option to offer a "full screen mode" for the contents area in the back-end.

Christoph

[1]
snafu wrote:look at your successful opponents
If I do so, I see quite many things nearly all other CMSs do another way:
  • they use an RDBMS ("SQL database") for data storage; at least I haven't seen any other CMS which stores the complete site in a single file
  • pages are not inserted automatically in the TOC; one has to tell the system explicitely which pages should go where; the page title is separate from the page contents, and for a readable URL one has to enter a "slug" to avoid special characters in the URL
  • they offer multi user capabilities
Of course we can change all of this. However it would be much less work to start from scratch. And what would be the result? IMO nothing more than "Yet another CMS" doing things the same way.

snafu

Post by snafu » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:36 am

hello
cmb wrote: [1]
snafu wrote:look at your successful opponents
If I do so, I see quite many things nearly all other CMSs do another way:
look like a USER not like a programmer.

mist, dann in deutsch: Den Benutzer interessiert es einen Dreck wie seine Daten vom Programm verwaltet werden, die können auch als Quantenschaum auf der Sonnenoberfläche gehostet werden, egal ob in lochstreifen, blobs, tabellen oder strudelteig. es dreht sich um den komfortablen Umgang damit! Und da ist es sehr wohl wichtig, wie ein Adminmenüe aussieht (wie dieses Aussehen erreicht wird, ob mit html.schlagmichtot und css 18.5 oder tabellensatz ala web 0.95 ist dem Benutzer dabei auch schon wieder wurscht!) und wie komfortabel der Editor ist; Blogs deren Editoren zur Contenterstellung den Komfort von Foren Editoren hatten, sind, nicht umsonst, so gut wie ausgestorben, egal wie elegant sie ihre Daten speicherten.
Wir (diejenigen, die das benutzen, was ihr programmiert) , wollen es BEQUEM und LEICHT haben. KISS ist nicht nur unter der Haube wichtig, sondern auch hinsichtlich der Bedienung.
Das hat NULL damit zu tun, ob dahinter eine DB steht oder ob das Viech multiusertauglich ist.
Deswegen meine ewigen Wiederholung mit dem Tellerrand und dem Anschauen wie andere es gelöst haben, bei den Benutzerschnittstellen z.B.. Es interessiert nicht, aus programmiertechnischer Hinsicht, wie z.B. WP etwas macht, sondern wie leicht es dem Benutzer gemacht wird SEIN Ziel zu erreichen und das ist nunmal seinen Content attraktiv an den Mann zu bringen!
Usability hat nichts damit zu tun, wie die Eingabedaten vom Rechenwerk verarbeitet werden, Usability betrifft die Oberfläche der Black Box, die Form der Tasten und ihre Verteilung.

Ein Auto das NUR von KFZ Mechanikern gebaut würde, würde auf dem Markt floppen ... und hier wird generell zuviel aus der Warte von Programmierern gesehen und agiert.

ps:MLDAdmin hab ich früher mal benutzt, aber da es nicht mit allen Plugins. die ich nutze, "harmoniert" ... keine Chance. Wegen einem anderen Armaturenbrett und Leder auf dem Schaltknauf montier ich mir doch meine Hängerkupplung nicht ab.
Bevor das Adminmenüe jetzt noch verschlimmbessert wird, lasst es lieber wie es ist. Wenn unbedingt manpower in irgendetwas investiert werden sollte, dann dort wo die Benutzer etewas davon haben und sehen können. Da gibts genügend Baustellen die wichtiger sind als aktionismus und programmieren des programmierens willen.
Wie siehts mit dem Wiki aus, oder aus einem anderen Thread
cmb wrote:
Lariss wrote:Bis jetzt musste ich selbst die Plugins aus unterschiedlichen Quellen suchen und downloaden, um die Sotware aufzupeppen, ohne zu wissen, ob sie auch mit CMSimple_XH richtig kompatibel sind.
Ja, das ist wirklich ein Problem. Im XH-Wiki gibt es eine Liste von Plugins, die auf jeden Fall mit CMSimple_XH kompatibel sind. Dort sind aber bei weitem nicht alle kompatiblen aufgeführt (aus verschiedenen Gründen). Aber letztlich hilft eine einfache Liste nicht viel, v.a. wenn man ein Plugin für eine bestimmte Funktionalität sucht. Ein Repositorium mit einer vernünftigen Such- und Filterfunktion, wie es das auch für andere CMSe gibt, wäre also wohl nötig... Ich hoffe, es gelingt uns in nicht allzu ferner Zukunft ein solches aufzubauen.
schön, daß es irgendwann mal ein Repositorium geben könnte, aber bis dahin wäre ein leicht auffindbare Liste für Suchende Gold wert. Bevor ich mir dauernd Gedanken machen würde, wie eine künftige release aussehen soll, was da alles aus programmiertechnischer Sicht verwirklicht werden "muss", würd ich mal an das drangehen, was ein Programm für den Anwender attraktiv macht. Wie kann ichs bedienen, wie schnell find ich wo was und wo wirds wie erklärt.
Wordpress ist nicht so erfolgreich geworden, weil es seine Daten in einer dbms gespeichert und multiuser tauglich war ... und jetzt einfach nochmal über den Tellerrand nachenken und des Benutzers Verhältniss zum Quantenschaum reflektieren.
lg.
winni

Durch einen Sucher betrachtet wird alles zu einem Motiv.
meine Galerie; mein Blog, mein CMSimple Template Tutorial