Idea involving a small change in content.htm

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
svasti

Idea involving a small change in content.htm

Post by svasti » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi developpers:

Plugins usually don't directly access the content.htm. Rather the content.htm is converted into a number of arrays and the plugins read from and sometimes write into these arrays. So the following change may not break existing plugins :roll: :

At present a new page is started by its healine in a fitting <h-...> paragraph. However, the pagedata follows right away, and the pagedata also indicates that a new page is going to be started. So the start of a new page is indicated twice... why not let the pagedata do the job alone? :geek:

i.e. a new page could start when the <?php $page_data[]=array(... is encountered and the pagedata could have 2 new key-value pairs, namely: 'headline' => '...' and 'level' => '...'

In admin editing mode the headline could be in a text-input line (styled according to the h-x of the template) e.g. below or above the online editor. Similar to the other pagedata tabs there could be a pagedata tap on the right side with the menu level written on it. Thus the headline would still always be visible, only on saving the ajax pagedata save would have to be done first.

Deleting the headline+save would glue the page to the preceding page. Breaking a page into two pages could be done by entering {{{headline 'my new headline,1'}}} inside the page contents.

Possible advantages:
  • free use of all h-levels
  • no more calls from users "help, my page is gone"
  • one could add new levels without reworking the content
  • no head scratching, how many levels do I need, in planning a site and before entering text
  • the online editor drop down list for the paragraphs wouldn't have to be altered by "#1 level headline" for "h1".

cmb

Re: Idea involving a small change in content.htm

Post by cmb » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:59 am

Well, maybe we should indeed change the classic CMSimple way of managing the content. As I understand it, it causes a lot of confusion to new users, and probably there are not many old-style-users making good use of structure. If we do so, I'd like to go a step further, though, i.e.
svasti wrote:Deleting the headline+save would glue the page to the preceding page. Breaking a page into two pages could be done by entering {{{headline 'my new headline,1'}}} inside the page contents.
Why not add buttons for this? Joining with the previous page would be trivial, but even splitting a page could be accomplished with a small editor plugin.

Anyhow, it seems to me that doing that in a feature branch has the advantage that we could present the idea ready for testing/evaluating by end-users.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Post by svasti » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:54 pm

cmb wrote:Why not add buttons for this? Joining with the previous page would be trivial, but even splitting a page could be accomplished with a small editor plugin.
+1
cmb wrote:Anyhow, it seems to me that doing that in a feature branch has the advantage that we could present the idea ready for testing/evaluating by end-users.
+1

svasti

Post by svasti » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Just got an email from a user who tried my suggestion to str_replace certain headline levels with other levels, in order to be better liked by google.
Anyhow he experienced some problems -- and the str_replace is really a kludge.
My above suggestion would make it superfluous,
cmb wrote:that doing that in a feature branch has the advantage that we could present the idea ready for testing/evaluating by end-users
however I am afraid that I wouldn'd be able to write the necessary code myself :oops:

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:15 am

svasti wrote:Anyhow he experienced some problems -- and the str_replace is really a kludge.
Maybe one of the alternatives posted in another thread would solve the problems.
svasti wrote:i.e. a new page could start when the <?php $page_data[]=array(... is encountered and the pagedata could have 2 new key-value pairs, namely: 'headline' => '...' and 'level' => '...'
For the record: Holger posted a related suggestion a year ago.
svasti wrote:
cmb wrote:that doing that in a feature branch has the advantage that we could present the idea ready for testing/evaluating by end-users
however I am afraid that I wouldn'd be able to write the necessary code myself :oops:
I may give it a try (can't promise that, though).
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Post by svasti » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:35 pm

cmb wrote:I may give it a try
:D :D :D
Thinking about the future of XH: CMSimple was born in times of comparatively powerless computers and expensive tiny webspace (my first webspace had 5 MB, which was devided between 3 domains).
You get now fast 1 GB webspace + 1 Database (speicherzentrum.de) for 3 € per year, so the advantage of a small system is less obvious.
And there are about 100 times more plugins and themes for wordpress etc. as for XH. Therefore an evolutionary push for XH might be interesting.